Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP won't share folders anymore  (Read 3548 times)

gimpy530

Topic Starter

Rookie

XP won't share folders anymore
    « on: September 30, 2007, 09:43:10 PM »
    Every time I share a folder on this computer, it is not accessible by any other computer on my network, Linux or windows.  The workgroup is correct, file and print sharing set up, in fact the printer attached to this computer is shared and other computer can print to it.

This computer can see a share on another XP computer, but that computer isn't able to get to the share on this one.  It will see the share but when you try to enter it, it just gives an error, "network path not found".

Any ideas?

viking

Adviser
    • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
      Re: XP won't share folders anymore
      « Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 02:45:03 AM »
      Disable (for testing) the firewall on the computer with the shares and see if it works without firewall.

gimpy530

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 05:51:52 AM »
        Disabled the Windows XP SP2 firewall on this computer, Linux still could not access any share on this computer.  I have a hardware firewall that I built, but that would not do anything with the traffic within my network, only external (internet) traffic.

viking

Adviser
        • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
          « Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 12:02:52 PM »
          Maybe a service on XP machine needs to be restarted? Workstation, server, maybe other service (I am thinking at the "server" service but others could hinder too).
          Maybe a too restrictive rule in the Local Security has been added/modified?

gimpy530

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 03:02:30 PM »
            Services look OK to me, the only security rule that wouldhave anything to do wiht it is that I disabled my LMHASH for security reasons.....I knew 98 and such needed it, but I didn't think XP or Linux did, but I enabled it again, rebooted, set up a new password, rebooted......that created an LMHASH of my current password, and still no computers on ym network can get to my shares