Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: scanned or captured files turn out blue !!!!!  (Read 18058 times)

1beavis

scanned or captured files turn out blue !!!!!
« on: December 04, 2004, 05:29:04 PM »
Dear helpers, and forum members,
I have had this issue for 3 years now, at first I just thought it was my scanner and just decided to keep the resolution under say 300 dpi, and the colors were perfect, if I scan the same picture at 600 dpi for example, the color is bad, perhaps negative color, but the light and dark are not negative, the end result is an almost all blue and white picture (black and white)

well, I got a new video capture card, and the same thing happens, I capture at 230x 400 or whatever tv quality is, and I get a good picture, if I capture at the 700x whatever for DVD recording, I get a blue and white picture just like the scanner. Help please!!

I had windows 2000, had this issue.
now have a clean install of XP pro, still same issue. perhaps there is some bitmap encoder upgrade i need?(I think the video capture card is in bitmap mode. the scanner scanns in tiffs or something. both have identical issue.
???
it seems when the file reaches a certain size, the colors are dropped.

I have tried printing the picture to eliminate the video card and it comes out blue and white also.

some other colors are present in the blue and white like orange. but the peoples faces, etc are a shade of blue.

searched all over. cant find the answer.
you may also e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks
Mark

merlin_2

Re: scanned or captured files turn out blue !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 06:06:19 PM »
What scanner and what software is used....i would blame the scanner /software not the o/s...as much i would like to..!!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 06:07:34 PM by merlin_2 »

1beavis

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 08:47:57 PM »
well, the reason i cant blame the scanner is, the video capture card has exactly the same trouble and has its own driver and software.

but scanner is a optic pro 4830p scanner, and the original driver, updated from thier site.

the video card is a conexant btcap videocapture/tuner card, whitch also provides a good picture, until you increase the resolution (on the card, not the monitor)
then it goes bluewhite like a grayscale, but blue.

had the same sacnner on windown 98, and never had an issue.

just got the video card last year, but if remember right, i had a hauppage win tv card befor it, and it did the same.
at high res.  ???

whats the deal?

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 04:57:48 AM »
Have you updated all your drivers related to videocard, videocapture card and scanner with original drivers?

1beavis

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 12:19:53 PM »
well not within the last year, I will try to locate some, but windows xp doesnt say there is a newer one out, but maybe they just havent notified the mother ship about it.
good idea, will see what turns up on drivers, maybe that is it, calling on a 16 bit driver to produce a 32 bit result?
hmmmm

wonder if that compatibility wizard in xp would help either?

hmmmm. good ideas guys.

if i find an answer i will post it, if no, keep in mind if you hear a fix for this.

beavis

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 12:35:18 PM »
but windows xp doesnt say there is a newer one out, but maybe they just havent notified the mother ship about it.

Donot use Windows XP drivers. Use original drivers instead.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 12:35:33 PM by Raptor »

1beavis

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 05:50:08 AM »
Well problem persists, I have updated to the manufacturers latest driver and no change.
am i just calling on the device to produce a larger image than it was designed to do?

it is as if there is a buffer in the computer, that will hold a certain size picture, and when I exceed that limit, the file gets trashed, the color info anyway.

I say in computer, because my video captyre card, is taking snapshots of the video, is suffering the same, when I call on it for a bigger picture, it goes bad exactly the same way.

on the other hand, i have another software for capture, that has bugs, but it will capture a large image from my card perfect, called videowave 5, but it occasionally crashes without warning for unknown reasons, and I would rather not have to use it. the program that has the blue pic issue is called my dvd, it is a better software, but they say it dont support the card. but i think it would, if I could straighten out this whole blue picture thing, because my scanner does  the same thing at higher resolutions.

is that the nature of an image when a software calles on a device for more / different stream of data than it can produce?

the scanner is the optic pro 4830p
the tv card is the conexant 878a

perhaps I need a high dollar card and driver for this....and a new scanner? but I dont wish to if that is not the problem.....the scanner will do a good picture at 1200 dpi at 1x1 inch sixe.....so wonder why it fails at 3x3 inch size, until you lower it to say 200 dpi, then it will do an 8x 10 perfect......go figure. is the entire image stored on an internal buffer then sent as one blip to the pc after completion, and the large amount of data is just too much?

but then back to the TV card...wonder why it has the same issue, and it is fairly new, so you would think it could handle the resolutuion........

it came with some crappy vcr software, i may re-install that and see how high tthe original software would take it? but i remember it was not user friendly and that is why i like the my dvd software.

hmmmmm.

but that dont explain the scanner.....so interesting quandry here.

anybody else have a scanner? what happens if you scan a 1200 dpi image at a large size like mmm 8x10, he he, does it work?

thanks for all the suggeations.
beavis

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 01:39:39 PM »
Read the 36 bits/24 bits article>http://www.scantips.com/basics14.html  <rgb>

1beavis

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 03:06:11 PM »
THat was a useful article. the problem still persists though. I have found a workaround for now. interestingly, if I use the software that came with my video capture card, the image looks good, and I will continue using it. it however does not exactly explain the scanner, unless my scanner simply cant scan a photo that large in that great of detail. perhaps that is just the failure response to such a demand.

thanks for all the help.
it at least put me in adirection I could find a solutuion to my video capture problem, which was new software for making DVD's and using the capture program that came with my card, rather than a capture program within the DVD authoring softrware.

merry christmas to all ;D

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 03:34:35 PM »
    1beavis.........Your scanner ...............the optic pro 4830p ,
    was designed for Win 95 and win 98.......... Probably you didnt have any problems using either of those o/s....
    However once you pushed it by using Win xp .........odd things happen. I see this issue has been on going for 3 years......So it cant be that big a deal to you . Why dont you simply purchase a newer scanner .....one that is designed to function properly with Win Xp .
    I have looked at various driver updates for that scanner and have found a number which say they may or may not work properly with Win XP ......Further , I don't believe you have anything wrong with your new Vid card .........the problem is with the software you are using to drive the scanner ........
    Maybe Santa will bring you a new one for Christmas ...

Cheers
    dl65 ::)
    « Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 03:35:33 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.