Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Language problem in Windows 2000  (Read 5926 times)

blackcat

Language problem in Windows 2000
« on: September 26, 2007, 08:51:56 AM »
I have a Korean version of Windows 2000 Pro installed on my computer. Is there any way that I can transform this into a purely English version. I have English set for my programs etc, but the Windows menues and messages are all in Korean, which I can't read. Every time my computer gives me a message it is in Korean and I have to guess at which option to chose. Even shutting down can be a bit hit and miss at times. Any advice or help would be appreciated, as I would like to avoid having to buy a whole new Windows 2000 program. ???

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: Language problem in Windows 2000
    « Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 10:08:11 AM »
    As far as I know, the different regional versions of windows comes with one language only. So you'd need an English version of win2k in order to get English menues, etc. But why do you have a Korean version in the first place if you don't understand the language?
    And this wouldn't happen to be the same computer that's missing a win2k install disc would it?
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,43182.new.html
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 04:08:04 PM »
      Try changing it in your Control Panel>Regional Options, there is a long list of languages in there.
      I'd try it on mine (W2K) but I'm afraid I'll get stuck in some foreign language and not be able to get out of it. :D

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 01:19:14 AM »
        I set my English version of XP to Danish in the regional settings. All it does is change the currency, date format and things like that.

Fed

• Sage
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 04:14:29 AM »
          I don't have Danish in my list of languages, I started to try Korean and it asked me for the W2K disk and that was enough of an omen to make me chicken out. :D
          The last thing I need is trying to find a Korean to help me get back to English.

Deerpark

Egghead
            « Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 04:55:38 AM »
            Spero-T...
            First of all that pack is for XP not w2k.
            Second of all:
            Microsoft Windows XP Language Interface Pack (LIP) is a high-quality, localized "skin" for emerging or minority language markets, such as Catalan, Lithuanian, and Thai - it is not available in English.
            It is the opposite of what the user wants. I.e. this patch translates an English version into other languages, not the other way around.

msmith

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 07:47:54 AM »
            once a language is set you won't be able to convert it. you can change some things but not others.  Like when you go to install a printer it won't see the language in english.  The computer will look for it in language it was set up in.

blackcat

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 01:30:26 AM »
            Thank you everyone for your help.

How did I end up with a Korean version of W2K when I don't understand the language? Serves me right for buying anything from ebay!

I have been able to set English through Control Panel, but want to remove Korean entirely, which by the looks of it is not possible. I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and buy another copy of W2K, or put up with the control panels being in Korean.

Yes it is the same machine without the installation disc for W2k. :-[