Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is there a way to block or filter certain websites from kids?  (Read 4065 times)

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Is there a way to block or filter certain websites from kids?
    « on: October 03, 2007, 05:49:57 AM »
    I put myspace on the restricted category in Windows, but it is still accessible. Is there a way to block sites or a filter program available? The kids are spending too much time on myspace and facebook. An even better option would be something I could disable at times ,like weekends, etc. Thanks

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Spero-T

Re: Is there a way to block or filter certain websites from kids?
      « Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 06:30:00 AM »
      Aol is quite child friendly

The Saviour

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 06:53:23 AM »
      Why not just use the resources you currently have available to you...

What browser do you currently use...or your children use...to access myspace?  Internet Explorer 6? 7? Firefox?

Use the parental controls within those browsers to limit what your children can and/or can't view.  This way...if they want to get to MySpace...they have to go through you first.

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 08:00:17 AM »
        Saviour, not quit esur ewhat you mean. We run XP, I access the net through explorer. They use MSN alot r/t email accounts, not sure how they access myspace. Is there more to windows that I'm not aware of? Like I said, I put these sites on restriction but they are still accessible. Going through us, would be great, like I said, I'd like to be able to disable at times, as long as they don't figur eit out.

The Saviour

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 08:23:35 AM »
        If everyone is using the same computer...it would be best to setup the children's accounts as "Limited Users" through the Control Panel/User Accounts.  Of course, there would need to be an Adinistrator or Administrator...this being the parents, of course.

If you need help with the above...just let me know and I can help you configure the children's accounts as "Limited Users"...it is fairly simple, though.  Just open User Accounts and add the users as you see fit...setting their accounts as limited.  This means they have limited capabilities on the computer...preventing them from downloading and installing programs.  Only Administrators can do this.

The next thing I'd do is to password protect your Administrator account, so that they cannot use it without your knowledge.  Make sure you use a password they will never figure out and make it a combination of upper and lowercasse letters along with numbers.  This will make it very difficult for them to figure out...but make sure you remember...keep the password in a safe place.

Now that we have the user accounts out of the way...it would be wise to use only one browser, such as Internet Explorer, to access the Internet.  In the long run, it'll make everything a little easier for you, as well.  So, if the kids are using MSN Explorer...you may want to uninstall it...and say "Hey, kids...this is what I want you to use from now on..." know what I mean?

Now that you've decided what browser you want to use...say Internet Explorer...go into Tools and then Internet Options.

Within Internet Options you can turn on and also password protect the Content Advisor, which will limit what your children see...based on the information you use to set it up.  For more on the Content Advisor read this.  It'll tell you all you need to know about using Internet Explorer's Content Advisor.

Now...if you want to block access to MySpace...simply open Internet Options...click the Security tab and then select the Restricted Sites icon and click the Sites button.  Here you will be able to restrict the sites you don't want your children to visit.  Simply type the URL (Address) of the site you don't want your children to visit in the Add this website to the zone box...then click the Add button.  Now they won't be able to access it.  Of course...they'll come crying to you saying..."I can't get to MySpace."  If you want them to view it...just go in and remove the site from the Restricted Sites list.

It may appear to be a little involved...but it's well worth the time and effort you put into it.

I hope you've found this information useful...and if I can be of any further help, please let me know.

Flightfanatic

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 02:48:56 PM »
        Aol is quite child friendly

yea to turn them into demons  ;)

dairyman

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 07:56:12 PM »
        This might be the time to switch to Firefox...

Get it here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/