Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor stuck in power mode/Usb's not recognizing  (Read 3860 times)

ColiCookie

Monitor stuck in power mode/Usb's not recognizing
« on: October 09, 2007, 01:37:28 AM »
Hey, this is my first time posting here, so I really hope I can get help!

My computer problems started when I woke up one morning and my computer was off and my monitor was in power save mode. My computer would turn on for a few seconds and then turn itself off again. The entire time this kept happening my monitor wouldn't come out of power save mode. Eventually the computer wouldn't even stay on for 2 seconds and then it wouldn't turn on at all. I called Dell and they told me all the basic troubleshooting, ie unplugging and plugging in stuff and then told me my warranty was up and they could only help me further if I spent $40.

Then, after a couple days, I tried to turn the computer on for fun, and it turned on. The monitor came out of power save mode and it even went to my log on screen. At that point my boyfriend suggested I turn it off and move it to a better outlet. I dismantled the computer and realized the internet was only in the bedroom, so I set the computer back up.

Now it will turn on and stay on, but I can't get the monitor out of power save mode. I read something to see if the keyboard was working, so I hit the caps lock key and nothing happened. I plugged in a different keyboard and it still won't work. I plugged another mouse in as well and nothing happened. I am thinking my usb ports aren't registering anything, but that doesn't explain why my computer wouldn't stay on, and now I can't get the monitor off of power save mode and the keyboard/mouse to work.

So if anybody has actually red my novel and thinks they could help me that would be much appreciated!! Thanks!!

You can also reach me at [email protected] or myspace.com/coli

Thanks again!!

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Monitor stuck in power mode/Usb's not recognizing
    « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 06:35:21 AM »
    Need...more...info...gasp  :P

Operating system / antivirus & antispyware protection / service packs installed / when did it start happening / did it ever work right / installed any new software?

Assuming you're using a USB keyboard and mouse, try using the standard PS/2 keyboard and mouse.  If those work go to Display Properties in Control Panel / choose the screen saver tab / power @ the bottom / change system standby to "never" / choose the Hybernate tab/ uncheck the enable option.  Start with this.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

ColiCookie

Re: Monitor stuck in power mode/Usb's not recognizing
    « Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »
    LOL, More info?
    OK, so everything was installed and up to date when it shut itself down. It started happening I believe last Thursday or around then. It always worked right, this was the first time it's ever done this. When I first got it it wouldn't come out of sleep mode, but the Dell guy took me through what he did the other day and that stuff worked then. I haven't installed any new software.  I do however, hardly turn it off, and the outlet it is in sometimes got bumped by feet or animals and would restart the computer.

I guess I'm using a usb keyboard and mouse...they both have usb plugs...they came with my computer and are the only ones I have. I could probably find an old one in the next few days or so though.

I'll let you know when I can do that and if it worked. :) Thanks!

Oh, and I have XP, and i forget the name of my antivirus stuff