Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

What is your opinion of the Apple iPod?

Loveit
2 (25%)
Like it
3 (37.5%)
Don't care
1 (12.5%)
Don't like it
1 (12.5%)
Hate it
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: My iPod Review  (Read 9050 times)

michaewlewis

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
My iPod Review
« on: September 27, 2007, 08:25:42 AM »
I've had an iPod 5g for about six months now and thought it was about time for a review on it. Overall, I think it's an okay mp3 player. Just okay.
It is nice that you can listen to music, watch videos, and view pictures, ebooks, etc. with it.

You can even play games on it. I really like the music trivia game. It plays a clip from one of the songs in your library and lists the title along with four other song titles and you have to choose the correct song. It's fun. :)

Viewing pictures is very nice. You can scroll through your image library with the click wheel very quickly, without the images freezing or slowing down. It has very good resolution for such a small screen.

Watching videos on the small screen can be a little difficult... because it's small. I usually have to hold the iPod fairly close to watch it comfortably. But that's no surprise. I expected that much from a small screen. It is also annoying that I had to convert all of my videos to the apple approved format.

It plays mp3 music just like every other mp3 player. It also plays the apple's proprietary format, AAC, which I don't know much about. I haven't used it.

Using the click wheel to scroll through the menus is cumbersome. It can be difficult to select an item because the click wheel is touch sensitive and usually moves to the next item while you are lifting your finger to open the song you want. So then, you have to try the click wheel again and move up one song. Which of course, when you finish scrolling back and forth to reach the one song you want (not easily), when you lift your finger, it moves again. >:(
The menu system is actually fairly simple. Categories are broken up logically and it is easy to find the things you need.

I do wish there was an easier way to change the shuffle and repeat settings for music. If I want to turn off the shuffle option, I have to navigate to the root menu and then scroll >:( to the settings folder and find the shuffle option. Then find the appropriate shuffle setting to select it. Then, in order to change any music, I have to navigate to the now playing list. It seems there should be an easier way! It's definitely not something you want to do while driving.

Now that I've had my iPod for a while, I wish I would have bought a Zune. (My wife insisted on the iPod) The Zune has a bigger display, bluetooth, and it supports more standard media formats. iPod only supports mp3 and the apple standard formats.

Last comment. I can't easily run with my iPod. If I clip it to my pants, the constant motion and jarring of the iPod can make it freeze. This probably isn't a problem with the flash memory iPods, but with the ones with hard drives, it is. I would run with it on my arm, but the strap I have isn't very comfortable and tends to either cut off circulation or slide around too much. And I'm not about to hold it while I do my 5-10 mile runs!

Spero-T

Re: My iPod Review
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 08:30:41 AM »
Nice man !

Richenstony

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 09:47:35 AM »
Nice man !
Nice reply!!   :-\

Ok as far as i-pods go i don't think there the future of mp3s at all , ive had a philips mp3 for ages now and i have to say its so good much better than apples i-pod , i don't like the smooth scrolling circle in the middle and i don't like the way the play lists arranges on them , I-tune is the worst program ever invented by apple its so confusing to use and most people who have mp3s are collage students and im sure they don't have the time to mess around with importing crap from one player to the next takes ages i like the basic philips one i have just press play and boom theres the music it also has a voice activator where you can actually say the song you want rather than scroll through a 1000 of them ...... scrap the i-pod bring on a basic flash drive i say :D

michaewlewis

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 09:58:41 AM »
You reminded me of another thing I wanted to say about the iPod.
The worst thing about the iPod is iTunes. As soon as you install iTunes, it asks you if you want it to organize your music collection. This is a very bad idea. Especially if you have custom CDs or an album with different artists. It takes all of your music and puts each song and sorts them by artist in the My Music directory, creating hundreds of artist folders and completely disorganizing any preplanned scheme you are used to. I was extremely upset when I found out what it did to my years of personalization. >:(

michaewlewis

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 10:00:16 AM »
Oh, and congrats on your new ranking stony! :)

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 10:10:37 AM »
yeah, i also got an ipod 5th generation 60gb,huh...sucks... :-\
I really like my iaudio u2
http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/u2/
swear to God, that are the best mp3 player i ever have, with a  extremely powerful & great bass!
You can feel like you "in there" ;D
Buy & you won't regret!!!

The Ipod didn't make sound as good as that u2 mp3 player, nothing make me impressive with the sound quality produce by it. It just a flat sound ( even after changing the equalizer)
Yeah, itunes one of the "*censored*" software that i use.
I can't use it in windows 98 & have to seach another alternative to sync the songs, and maybe some ipod owner didn't notice that ipod really used lot of memory, after connecting it to a pc it will make the pc slow a bit.I'm sure!
well, there are lot of things i hate bout it but i still use my ipod as a external hard drive.
If i know earlier...i rather wait for playstation 3 ;D

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 06:32:51 PM »
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=23&name=MP3-Players

Take a look at some of those

Some are more expensive, yes, but some are cheaper, and do the same thing, and some are of better value.

Notice that many of them hold more than 5GB as well.

Spero-T

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 02:28:45 AM »
Nice man !
Nice reply!!   :-\

Ok as far as i-pods go i don't think there the future of mp3s at all , ive had a philips mp3 for ages now and i have to say its so good much better than apples i-pod , i don't like the smooth scrolling circle in the middle and i don't like the way the play lists arranges on them , I-tune is the worst program ever invented by apple its so confusing to use and most people who have mp3s are collage students and im sure they don't have the time to mess around with importing crap from one player to the next takes ages i like the basic philips one i have just press play and boom theres the music it also has a voice activator where you can actually say the song you want rather than scroll through a 1000 of them ...... scrap the i-pod bring on a basic flash drive i say :D

Thanks so friendly as always... . ::) *sighs*