Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't play active content.  (Read 2991 times)

Ewan

Can't play active content.
« on: September 14, 2007, 03:23:32 PM »
I cant play active content on my computer because I got a virus and it messed it up. Now when I got to Internet Options > Advanced there is no "Allow Active Content To Run In Files On My Computer" button.

Here is a picture, it seems like the 3 Allow options are gone. Can you please help me?

THIS IS MY COMPUTER:

THIS IS WHAT IT SHOULD LIKE LIKE:

litespeed14

Beginner

Re: Can't play active content.
    « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 03:36:57 PM »

Okay so you have run what? antivirus, have you made an ID of what virus it is. Here are some general fixes that will work with absalute results.

1. If you can not get any antivirus or software to Q the virus or remove it, then back up your critical data, reformat your HDD and reload...It's good to reformat and clean your HDD 1nce a year anyway. So take advantage of the oppertunity, I know it's alot of work, but it can correct your out of wack registry and make a heck of a performance increase. Escpecially if you have been loading and using this HDD for over a year. You might even want to go to New Egg.com or TigerDirect.com and buy an additional HDD and set up RAID 0+1..depending really on your situation. You didnt leave alot of info on your system, Oh yeh. In case your wondering I have my MCSE certification. So I'm not a blow hard after 14 yrs in this business..Good Luck

Sincerely,
    [email protected]

mektek

Hopeful
    • Witty comment to be advised
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 04:17:38 PM »
      I have never bothered with the MCSE cert but i would argue against reformatting yearly just for the heck of it if a computer is functioning properly. They can be kept clean by good housekeeping.

As an MCSE professional what is The MS take on this. Are the happy to supply new auth. codes annualy? They never seem that keen to provide the key more than twice to me.
      Tiggered - adj : It's been tiggered
      A computer that was working until tinkering broke it

Ewan

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 04:50:40 PM »
      I used Spybot Search and Destroy to remove it. Is there any way to get Active Content working again?

Ewan

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 07:56:13 PM »
      Please help anyone? Some sites ads are not working and its making them slow. I think its cuz they are using activex for ads.

litespeed14

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 07:59:02 AM »

I agree Metcaff. Running your Ad-ware SE by Lavasoft or HighJackThis spyware and addware scanners along with ClamWind or AVG antivirus and frequent defrag and chkdisc..is good housekeeping,  but this computer is obviously not functioning properly, MS relation to this is they wrote the OS, I stated my opinion to help someone and it was not you...If you have a problem with MicroSoft, take it up with them. I was not talking to you...I have for many yrs built, building,  installing software and hardware, troubleshooting computers, so I need not justify my credentials. I know this z prob not just a trojan, sounds like a virus that started with the IE and still going...I could be wrong.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 11:18:29 AM »
        I used Spybot Search and Destroy to remove it
        If it was listed by Spybot, it wasn't a virus, some kind of malware, rather...
        What Windows version? What IE version?
        Download HijackThis from here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html, and post its log at "Computer Viruses and Spyware".