Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows xp installation error "oembios.bin" please help.! ??? ???  (Read 14821 times)

exceed01

Topic Starter

Rookie

hello guys! can you help with my problem on win xp installation?
    because i've encountered an error that says, "Setup cannot copy the file: oembios.bin"
    and i tried to change another xp installer but it still cannot continue my installation.
    Then, i tried to reboot it and use my another xp installer but same thing that happened. The same error had appear, "Setup cannot copy the file: oembios.bin".

Can you please tell me if what is the cause of this error?  And how to solve this?
    by the way unit that im installing is a laptop toshiba, intel celeron.

thanks in advance..
    show me what you got!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: windows xp installation error "oembios.bin" please help.! ??? ???
    « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 08:05:53 AM »
    What does it say on the CD you are using ? ?
    Is it a Microsoft XP CD or is it a Toshiba OS CD ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

exceed01

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 11:18:23 PM »
      am, actually this cd that im using is a pirated one.. but i've already used it many times without error.
      show me what you got!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 02:56:30 PM »
      Not on a laptop i don't believe.
      Sorry we cannot assist with this type of software.

But thanx for being up front about it...and don't take it personally it's one of our Rules.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

exceed01

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 07:05:33 AM »
        ah ok... well, i guess i just have to figure it out by myself... thanks anyway
        show me what you got!

contrex

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 12:10:37 PM »
        this cd that im using is a pirated one.. but i've already used it many times without error.

Oh right.  ::) Like my TV worked every night for 10 years, so why won't it come on now?

When people say things like that it always reminds me of the mandatory advice that has to be printed on advertisements for investment products in the UK, "past performance is no guarantee of future results".

"Used it many times" could mean "scratched it many times".

You could have a hardware problem, possibly RAM related.

Also, going the illegal route could cause you problems.

New brand-name computers (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.) come with Windows XP preloaded that has an (Original Equipment Manufacturer) OEM licence. The OEM licensing system is different to that of the retail packaged version of Windows XP. The OEM licence does not allow Windows XP to be transferred to a new computer; the retail licence does allow such a transfer. OEM copies are only licensed for use on the new computer on which they were originally installed.

Many OEM copies installed by the major manufacturers (Dell, HP, Packard Bell, etc.) use a system called System Locked Pre-Installation (SLP) that doesn't match any hardware on start-up. It looks for a special signature in the BIOS setup program instead. If the computer's installation Windows XP has a file called oembios.bin, then it has SLP-activated OEM copy.

If a BIOS-locked copy of Windows XP is installed on a motherboard and the BIOS lock fails, the system will go through the normal Product Activation process at startup. However, note well that from March 1, 2005, the Product Key supplied on a label by the computer manufacturer, and used for the initial installation, won't be accepted for activation. A new copy of Windows XP, with a licence allowing installation on a different computer, will be needed. This means that any replacement motherboard, or upgrade to its BIOS, must be supplied by the original manufacturer in order to ensure that the BIOS lock is put into effect.