Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Death by HDD Enclosure???  (Read 2534 times)

stasik

Death by HDD Enclosure???
« on: October 22, 2007, 05:38:14 PM »
Hello!
HDD related question...

I am using a noname HDD enclosure I bought at the local computor shoppe. This is my second, but a different 'noname'; the first one died due to power supply failure.
I have two harddrives Seagate Barracuda 120GB (7200.3) and 320GB (7200.10). 

So I was using the 120GB hdd through the enclosure until one day i turn it on and get the message  "x:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable".... hmmm... pulled out NTFS GetDataBack, recovered most of my files onto the 320GB hdd.... Until couple of days ago, I try to copy some files onto it get a BSOD. Ran CHKDSK.... it found some bad blocks and after doing 4 of 5 steps aborted on the last step (I forget what the error was but it seemed benign, so I closed the window)... that "fixed" my harddrive. Now I get the same message as with the first one "bla bla.. ...CORRUPT...". I can still get the files out w/ GetDataBback, but frankly its pissing me off cuz now I have no hard drive to put them on!

I am kind of tired of spending 100 bucks every couple of months on a new hard drive , so I kinda decided to get this problem fixed. I kinda suspect the enclosure. The problem is, I run it all the time on my laptop (I actually never turn my computer or the hdd off) and I'm wondering if the enclosure simply can't "hack it"

Did someone else encounter something like this with a similar setup?? Or should I spend 40 bucks on a better enclosure??? If so, can someone recommend one??

Thank you very much in advance =)

dairyman

Re: Death by HDD Enclosure???
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 09:38:27 PM »
See Microsoft KB article 176646.

I think you should spend a few more dollars on a new computer.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 10:34:07 PM »
It may or may not be the enclosure...
What caught my attention was the fact you rarely shut down the laptop.
But in periods of inactivity Windows decides some things on it's own.
If you are using Win2K or a newer OS here is what you can try...
Go to Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager...right click all instances of USB roots and hubs and select Properties and select Power Management.
Un-check "allow Windows to turn this off" which is on by default...not a good setting for external drives.

I would also DLoad and run the diagnostics from the drive manuf. site...their a bit more thorough than chkdsk.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pudco

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 04:14:58 AM »
Hey.. I have one of those enclosures also.. I also had a 7200rpm drive in it.  I don't know about yours but mine is TERRIBLE at keeping the drive cool maybe your drives are getting ruined by the heat.. I left mine on one time for a day and it was so hot I could hardly stand to touch it.  So My suggestion, try switching it off hwen you're not using it, or simply buy an ACTUAL external hdd instead of a DIY one like you have been and like I did.  I won't put anyhting but a cd drive in my enclosure now because it simply cannot handle the heat of a 7200rpm drive.  I think I remember reading somewhere before that if gets so hot it will cause data corruption so hey it can't hurt to try shutting it off when you don't use it!

stasik

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 04:56:05 PM »
dairyman: i tried running chkdsk, it wont go it says "unable to determine volume version and state". I tried that before with the 120GB drive and got the same message. w/ regard to getting a new computer, mine is practically brand new just paid 1500 for it last year. I wont buy another one for another 2 years if I can help it!

patio: thanks for that info!!! (I use WinXP btw). I checked them all off, I never even realized that that setting was there, thanks!!!
I never realized that Windows could send my external drives to sleep. I know what it sounds like when a drive sleeps though on a regular configuration, but I never notice my external one "waking up" when I start using the computer after a long delay. Why do you suspect this setting could be a problem???

pudco: heat isn't the problem, I am very sure of it. My drive runs at about 46C. I personally believe (though many will disagree) that the nominal temperature for a hard drive is 40-45C. This was only recently that I took on this belief due to the Google Labs report on a large number of hard drives http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf

Thank you all very much for responding!!!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 08:20:52 AM »
Stasik,
That setting is the default Windows setting...what was Gates thinking ? ?
It really frosted me when i first discovered it. The last thing you want for an external drive is power interruption.
 >:(

As to the chkdsk you really should run it...have you tried it in safemode ? ?

Take care.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "