Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't create folders on flash drive  (Read 16789 times)

goldie917

Can't create folders on flash drive
« on: October 27, 2007, 09:49:48 PM »
    ???I run Windows Office 2003 on Windows XP Media Player.  I am having an intermittent problem with moving or creating new folders to my flash drive.  I have no trouble when I open Explorer and cut/copy and paste files from my hard drive, but if I try that with a folder, I get the message: "Unable to create the folder ‘New Folder’ The directory or file cannot be created".  I've created files on this drive before and at other times I've received a similar message.  I receive the same message if I change flash drives, so I don't thinkthe problem is with the flash drive.  Am I inadvertently changing something that is blocking folder creation?  I am clueless as to how to check out a programming or command glitch (if that's what it is.  There is no problem with access to any of the files on my flash drive, but it's annoying to occasionally be unable to organize them without knowing how to correct or go around the "roadblock".  Any suggestions,anyone?
goldie917

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Can't create folders on flash drive
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 09:52:06 AM »
Open the flash drive in My Computer...select File/New  and create a folder.
This can then be renamed to whatever you want.
There has to be a folder existing on the drive to enable dragging and dropping a folder to it.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

goldie917

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 06:49:37 PM »
Thanks, Patio, but your suggestion produces the same message as I cited above.  I appreciate the effort, though.  I think that I must have inadvertantly changed some property or permission, but I don't know what is blocking folder creation only on the flash drive(s).
 :'(

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 01:46:43 AM »
Some flash drives have a teeny teeny switch on them for security...this disables being able to write to them.

goldie917

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 09:23:21 AM »
Again, good suggestion--but no go.  The flash drive is an Attache, 1G, and there aren't any parts to move.  I suspect it's likely to be MS Office or XP related, as it "feels" like a permission or property issue. I might have changed something like that without realizing it, as I'm the only one controlling this laptop.
goldie917

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 09:42:31 AM »
I would copy all the data on the drive currently onto your machine and check it to see it's valid.
Then Open up Disk Management by right clicking My Computer/Manage and Disk Management and format the flash drive.
See if this solves the issue...

goldie917

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 11:40:04 PM »
Patio,
A blessing on your head!  Does that mean the flash drive unformatted itself?
goldie917
;D

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 06:13:20 PM »
It means whatever was blocking access to the flash drive is now gone.
Glad to hear you are fixed up and stop by anytime...