Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound Card  (Read 8834 times)

Ed B.

Sound Card
« on: March 16, 2004, 07:17:28 PM »
hi,
i just recieved a computer from a friend and i need to figure out the type of sound card I have in it.
Its not plug&play because windows just recognizes it as a standard gameport.
Everything else is working, like the video driver and everything, its just this.
And its driving me insane.

So anyways,
I just need to know ways for figuring out any info on the soundcard besides using Device Manager.

Thanks!

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Sound Card
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 10:38:28 PM »
Ed,  

You may want to try reviewing the below page:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000503.htm

If you are still unable to determine the type of sound card try providing us with any numbers or names off of the sound card or if the sound card is on the motherboard let us know what type of motherboard is on the computer.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 11:44:48 PM by admin »
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Ed B.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 06:41:27 PM »
 ::) who would of thought of actually LOOKING in the computer? haha.

Well, its an Aureal, and i found a driver, yay!
Now here's the new question:
Its messing with my comp.

When it starts up one of 3 deadly things happen:
1. I get to the desktop and i get a Blue Screen and an Explorer and Kernel32 crash.
2. Windows Protection Error
3. Automatic Reboot

Yeah, so i tried safe mode, and i'll get #1 on that list i just said.

I got lucky once and manages to get to my Device Manager and i removed the hardware i had, but it just, came back... does removing hardware uninstall drivers? or does it just simply hide it until Windows recognizes it again?

So, yeah, no fun.
Anyone with ideas?
Is it possible to fix this this though (gulp)... Command Prompt?

Thanks,
Ed

Rick

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 01:48:16 AM »
? : :-/ sorry to say - I bet it is a vortex V2 and the bad news is ----- it will probably never work They claim to have a patch i think it is WIN NT sp5 but it came out around 99? and had a fatal chip set. Pull it out and either use the MB's onboard or get a new sound card. Remember Aureal was ---- ???---oh yes  ;D #D technolofies I think and they went out of business didn't they? I just had the same prob with an older comp and XP but had it with 2000Pro as well. I don't hold much hope for you getting it  to work more than 3 or 4 minutes if you ever get it booted GOOD LUCK!
Rick :-/

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 11:53:35 AM »
does removing hardware uninstall drivers? or does it just simply hide it until Windows recognizes it again?

Removing the hardware from device manager will remove the device and not the drivers. When windows is booted again because the device is thought of as a new device it will attempt to reinstall the device again.

One additional thought you may wish to try is if you have Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP try visiting Microsoft Windowsupdate page... Many times they will have drivers for some of the common sound devices. This page can be found at the below link.

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Ed B.

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 04:50:53 PM »
 :D Thank you!
I got a brilliant idea...
I took the old sound card, disposed of it, and installed an older Riptide Card from an old HP i had.

That other card was too much fun. ::)

Anyways, now i have a new dillema, but it doesnt fall under this topic, so i have a new one (hint: hard drive size yippie!)

Thanks again to everyone!
Ed