Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Networking A Win2000 machine to a Win XP machine  (Read 10833 times)

Stuart Harper

Networking A Win2000 machine to a Win XP machine
« on: December 14, 2004, 11:49:17 AM »
Hi, I've been trying to set up a wired connection between my Windows 2000 machine and an old Windows XP machine I found.

My Windows 2000 machine is currently connected to a wireless network which lets its access the internet... However I also want to network the XP machine to it via a cable (So I can play LANs in my room  ;D).

I've tried many ways in which to get the two computers to reconise each other but nothing I've done has worked. I set up the correct IP's (I think) which normally works between two 2000 machines, and I have  router inbetween them both! Why aren't they reconising eachother!?

PS: They both reconise there is a LAN connection but can't ping or see eachother ???

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Networking A Win2000 machine to a Win XP machi
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 12:18:23 PM »
First off, I don't know where you FOUND the machine, but I can't help but think that someone would dump off a computer somewhere becuase they were having problems with it. (There must be a reason that someone left it). Also, I'm not sure that mixing the operating systems like that is a good idea. That COULD be causing your problems.... Just install XP on the other computer if you can get a hold of an XP disk...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

robertmillar

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 12:23:19 PM »
First check that they are in the same workgroup
What ip addressess have you got on the machines and the router?
What subnet masks?

Here is a link to some useful information about networks:

http://www.rcmillar.netfirms.com/subpages/Links.htm#Networks

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 01:50:58 PM »
    Have you tried the networking wizard?
    Do you have any firewalls active?
    The router could be faulty?

Stuart Harper

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 01:31:37 PM »
    Firstly I'd like to say thanks for the replies!  ;D

@Flame: I didnt just 'find' it in the the street lol... no no no, it was one of my dad's old ones, but he doesnt need it anymore... So I have commendeered it.

As for the different OS's well I dont really want to format my 2000 machine (let alone not having an XP cd) as it has alot of stuff on it, and i only just formatted recently... I also want to keep the XP OS on the other machine, as its usful for playing some of my older games!

@Robertmiller: I have set all the workgroups in the house to HOME. Also the ip addresses being used between the two computers in my room is '172.168.12.X' but i dont know what you mean by the routers IP? Also the subnet mask is '255.255.0.0'.

@Neil: I do have a firewall on both machines but I have them disabled while I tried pinging does nothing it seems :S
    Also it seems the networking wizard doesn't work on a 2000 machine (go figure), so that kinda buggered up.
    And good idea I'll quickly try switching routers ;D

merlin_2