Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Copies and copies of copies!  (Read 2926 times)

computer-gran

Copies and copies of copies!
« on: December 10, 2004, 04:57:18 PM »
 :'(Windows XP.  I downloaded a game and I unzipped it to my desktop without creating a folder first and ended up with the  files on my desktop.  Oops!  I installed the game and later uninstalled it.  The files remained on my desktop.  I deleted these files, only to find that they had created copies of themselves.  I tried deleting those as well (silly me!) creating more and more copies!  I now have lots and lots of copies, and they won't delete.  Rebooting the computer did not help.  My AntiVir program does not detect a virus.  The only thing I can think it is that it might be is caused by the automatic system restore feature of XP that backs up files with EXE or COM extensions.
?????????? HELP!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 01:44:44 PM by computer-gran »

merlin_2

Re: XP ever-increasing copies!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 05:20:56 PM »
Was this a zip file and  you  unzipped it on the desktop in instead of creating a new folder to send it to...re-boot pc and delete them.......

computer-gran

Re: Copies and copies of copies! SOLVED!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 01:35:04 PM »
 ;D ;D ;)I found the answer.  When you delete files using the CTRL key and the mouse, and you do not release the mouse button completely between highlights, then the file will copy itself instead of deleting!!

computer-gran

Re: Copies and copies of copies! SOLVED!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 01:36:50 PM »
 ;D ;D ;) I found the answer.  When you delete files using the CTRL key and the mouse, and you do not release the mouse button completely between highlights, then the file will copy itself instead of deleting!!
Computer-gran.

merlin_2

Re: Copies and copies of copies!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 01:39:11 PM »
i was going to suggest that ;D like drawing a big box around the files ;)