Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer shut down after POST  (Read 2110 times)

lee64

computer shut down after POST
« on: November 02, 2007, 10:51:05 PM »
Hi, I have a computer that I built two years ago; I am running WinXP on it. The Mother board is an 865PE-TAG Socket 775 ATX. CPU is an Intel Pentium 4 Processor 54OJ (3.20GHz) with Hyper-Threading Technology. I’m not sure if all this info is needed but I just wanted all of you to know in case it helps with my problem.

Anyway, the other day I was testing a HDD from another PC to my PC. I connected the HDD to my IDA, and set it up as a secondary. After the troubleshooting was done, I connected everything back together. Then turned on my PC , the computer kept shutting down and then noticed I mistakenly disconnect the four pin processor fan cable connector to the motherboard 4-pin CPU fan header while I was inside the case troubleshooting the other HDD . After connecting CPU fan, I booted up the computer and noticed before POST the (Inside Pentium 4) splash screen logo on monitor appeared never appeared there before;
The computer loaded all the way. At that time I thought everything was alright, then I clicked an icon on the deck top and the PC just shut down. Sometimes it just starts then loads then shuts down, or just shut down right away. I went into CMOS and checked the PC Health Status and made sure the (Shutdown Temperature) was set the same as before (60c/140F), and it was; and checked the (Fan Temperatures) (30C/86F) and that was the same settings I always had. Checked the (Advanced Bios Features), the boot sequence was correct (HDD-first boot device, which is connect on a Serial ATA. Checked both CD-ROMS – second boot device and third boot device. I tried to isolate the problem by disconnecting the firewire card, then disconnecting the IDE cables for CD-ROMS one at a time, took out Ram and replaced it; I tried everything that I could think of still nothing. Everything else is on board except the Video card and firewire card.
I took out the CMOS battery went into CMOS and set the time and date back. Booted PC still shuts down.
Cannot get into Safe Mode, tried repeatedly tapping the F8 key during the boot process nothing. Computer is still perfectly stable when in post. POST memory count is showing I do get error messages when boot normally, but they flash on then off real fast, I don’t have time to read them. I try to hit the (Pause Break) to freeze the screen but no luck.
I was also considering it could possibly be the (PSU). I could use a multimeter, to test it but that’s not even guaranteed if the Voltage falls within the appropriate range, the PSU can still cause problems, so I read. Do you think the ( PSU) could possibility be the cause?

And last, I am getting one beep, which tells me computer passes the POST

Can anyone with good experience please help me
thanks ???