Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

What word processor are you using?

Apple Pages
2 (0.7%)
Google Docs
2 (0.7%)
Microsoft Word
205 (74.8%)
Microsoft WordPad
8 (2.9%)
OpenOffice
23 (8.4%)
Zoho Writer
1 (0.4%)
Other
10 (3.6%)
None
6 (2.2%)
Corel WordPerfect
9 (3.3%)
Microsoft Works
8 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: October monthly poll  (Read 56347 times)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: October monthly poll
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2007, 12:09:56 PM »
Its just... so much easier to use.
Sorry, Patio and Calum, but its true
That is a matter of opinion.
I sincerely believe that the only way to test this would be to find a long lost tribe or something that have never used computers before, and see which software they find easier to use.  Otherwise, the marketing and bad experiences twist our viewpoints.

Not to mention, most companies shy away from free software.
A valid point, and one I have never quite understood.
I know quite a few companies do not trust the free support and prefer to pay for it, but I myself would rather get it free and better.

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2007, 01:25:58 PM »
I actually find Open Office Writer as easy to use as Word, the only reason I use Word more often is because it has a Grammar checker and Thesaurus. If it had those two features I'd use it a lot more than Word.

Usually 'ease' comes with a better understanding of a program.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2007, 04:32:11 PM »
I actually find Open Office Writer as easy to use as Word, the only reason I use Word more often is because it has a Grammar checker and Thesaurus. If it had those two features I'd use it a lot more than Word.

Eye doesn't need a grammar checking feature four my writing, jest a spell chick. Open Office is god enough fur me.

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2007, 05:03:27 PM »
hehe  ;D
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2007, 05:09:11 PM »

Eye doesn't need a grammar checking feature four my writing, jest a spell chick. Open Office is god enough fur me.
Oh dear...

Though I have had a LOT of experience with Microsoft Office, I think that many people would find quite a few of its features easier to find and use than OpenOffice. I also like the voice input support provided in MS Office. I think that in many cases, its grammar check can be kind of... pointless. (Specifically the "fragment" errors that I so often make... whatever the heck those are)
Looking at MS Office 2007, it seems that the user interface is simply designed to put what you want right in front of your face, and categorize it. The menu bar is somewhat banished from MS Office 2007 now.

As most of you know, I truly believe that making the program you are using easy to look at makes it easier to use. I believe that MS Office 2007 has accomplished this goal of "eye candy"

See some screens, I like the interface:

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2007, 04:19:24 PM »
204 users voted, this surprises me as well, I dont think we have had such a big pole before.

Maybe we should run up a Microsoft Office flag on that pole...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "