Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I am New have question on Windows Vista  (Read 3959 times)

angeldotcom

I am New have question on Windows Vista
« on: November 10, 2007, 11:49:11 PM »
I got my first Computer a few days ago i had a webtv before anyway i got a Acer laptop with  Windows Vista on it .I like to sing karaoke on it like at singshot so when i hook up my micophone there no sound my daughter said it would record i just wouldnt be able to hear my voice on the micophone like she does on her .I have a mic but iwas thinking maybe its the wrong kind it the kind u hold and sing the kind u see people use singing with i look around i see there several diffrent kind may i ask what kind i need ? I have only been on a computer a few times i know i have lots to learn but this is very important to me i am in a wheelchair and its a hobby of mine to sing. If anyone knows of any sites that i can learn how to use a pc i would be very grateful. My addy is [e-mail removed to avoid spam] ...........thanks
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 05:22:55 AM by CBMatt »

Anodoin

Intermediate

Re: I am New have question on Windows Vista
    « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 03:18:00 AM »
    It should be quite possible to hear yourself while singing.  Are you able to record yourself for playback later?  If not, down in the lower right-hand corner of your monitor next to the clock you should see a little icon that looks like a speaker.  If you don't, click the < arrow to show more icons, and it should be in there.  Right-click the speaker, then click on "Recording Devices."  Inside there, select the Microphone port and click "Set as Default."

Then you should be able to open up an application that uses the microphone and start singing.  It may be hard to hear yourself over your own singing though, so you may want to try it through a decent set of headphones.

If you can get over the minor insult in the title, the "______ for Dummies" series is really good for beginners.  (PCs for Dummies, Windows for Dummies, etc.)