Other > Other

How do I open a ISO, Zip, 7-Zip, IMG, or archive file?

(1/5) > >>

Zylstra:
Q: How do I open a A, ACE, ARC, ARJ, B64, BH, BIN, BZ2, BZA, C2D, CAB, CDI, CPIO, DEB, ENC, GCA, GZ, GZA, HA, IMG, ISO, JAR, LHA, LIB, LZH, MDF, MBF, MIM, NRG, PAK, PDI, PK3, RAR, RPM, TAR, TAZ, TBZ, TGZ, TZ, UUE, WAR, XXE, YZ1, Z, ZIP, or ZOO file?

A: In order to open most of these file types, you must have an archive program.
Archive programs will usually not only open these types of files, but will allow you to create them.
One archive program that I suggest using is IZarc.
Download/read about here:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_izarc/

Other archive programs may work better on some systems. If you have a problem using IZarc, see a list of alternatives here:
http://www.filehippo.com/software/compression/

Other note:
Windows ME, 2000, 2003, XP, and Vista can all read .ZIP files, as they have their own built in ZIP Archive program.

Why would I use an archive?
Archives are usually used for two reasons:
They keep entire groups of folders and files in one file, so they can be downloaded and shared easily.
Archives often contain compression features, allowing you to make grouped files smaller than they originally were.

Are there any cons from using an Archive?
The two biggest cons of using archives for storage are:
Being able to open it on all computers. Not all computers have archive software on them. Most operating systems handle .ZIP archives, but many will not handle archives like .RAR, or .ISO (Linux being an exception)
Using compression with archives can take time. The more you compress a file, the longer it will take to compress it in the first place, and the longer it will take for the next person to decompress it.

If you think something should be changed in this FAQ article, feel free to send me a personal message (Requires User Registration) through the forums.

merlin:
One should scan for bugs before attempting to open files!

Carbon Dudeoxide:
Good point, Merlin. Especially if you have downloaded these files from an unknown source, file sharing website, P2P program or even given to you from your friend.

Many bugs live in these files.

tylerisdabest:
yes yes yes ALWAYS scan. i always see people get infectons from just not caring or giveing the time to scan *censored* even i did that once and i regerted it

Google:
Why not use winrar?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version