Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 95 - Windows 98SE Upgrade  (Read 6447 times)

tokyotone

Windows 95 - Windows 98SE Upgrade
« on: December 18, 2004, 01:27:09 AM »
I shall be very grateful if anyone can suggest a solution to the following problem.

I'm trying to upgrade the O/S on my computer from the original Windows 95 to Windows 98SE.

I bought an original Windows98SE Upgrade disc which is clearly marked 'for users of Windows 3.1x and Windows 95'.  When I try to install however I get a message, 'Your computer already has an operating system installed which cannot be upgraded by this version of setup.  You need to obtain the Windows 98 Upgrade'.  Message: SU0168.

Does anyone have the answer to how I proceed, please?

Thanks

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Windows 95 - Windows 98SE Upgrade
    « Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 01:56:57 AM »
    tokyotone.......I just did a quick google check and found this which may help you .....
    http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/win98se.html

When you put the win98se disc in the cd drive , did it not ask you to put in the win 95 cd so it could check to make sure that you can in fact upgrade. The error message suggests you can't go from win95 to win98se.

let us know how you make out .

dl65 ::)

« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 02:04:01 AM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Windows 95 - Windows 98SE Upgrade
    « Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 09:32:42 AM »
    I'm guessing you had the FULL version of 98 SE..... The full version is for use if you erase everything on your computer and do not have an operating system installed.... The upgrade edition will allow you to simply overwrite your current operating system.

[glb]Flame[/glb]