Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: start slow, runs slow and makes noise when I am simply typing on computer  (Read 7616 times)

ay1978

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
  • Life is precious, waste not one minute
    Hi, I am hoping someone can help me.  My computer starts kind of slow, and I feel like it is running a little slow also.  I thought it would be a good idea to un-check some of the start-up things after going into misconfig, but I do not know what any of the items are.  Is there an easy way to make my computer start faster.  Also, when I am on the computer, I hear the tower making noise like it is doing something, as though there was some kind of background process going on that I don't know about.  I am running McAfee and I am pretty sure I do not have any kind of virus.  Please help.

ay1978

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
      Re: start slow, runs slow and makes noise when I am simply typing on computer
      « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 02:11:52 AM »
      Oh Yeah, I am running windows XP that came with the computer a year ago when I bought it.  It has an 80 gig hard drive and I think 1 gig of memory.  Thanks in advance to anyone's response.

phoenix910

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 03:57:53 AM »
        A few things.
        1) Clear out all your system restore files then create a new one - they take a significant amount of space
        2) Start>Run %temp%   clear out all the files in there, they are temporary and un-needed. Any that are in use won't be able to be deleted
        3) Get a registry cleaner like MVREGCLEAN and clean out all dodgy files
        4) Get HijackThis and post us a log from that, then we can tell you what you can remove from start up

They're a few main points you can do to help speed things up.

-Stephen

ay1978

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
          « Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 10:08:05 AM »
          I am at work right now, and my computer in need is at home.  I will download hijackthis when I get home.  I have seen the link to it on other threads.  Is there a good free registry cleaner that you can direct me to?  If possible, please put the link on the thread.  Thank you Stephan.

Alana

ay1978

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
            « Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 10:24:54 AM »
            I am sorry Stephen, I spelled your name wrong on my last post.  My cousin spells his name with an "a", so I just typed it out of habit.  I did a search on MVREGCLEAN and found a couple of sites to download it from, but I would like to know which sites are safe to download from.  Thanks.

Alana

phoenix910

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 04:55:25 PM »
              That's fine, don't worry about the name wrong :) In terms of a safe link for MV Regclean, this one should do it:
              http://www.velasco.com.br/mvregclean55-en.zip

Another free one that I haven't had heaps of experience with is Eusing:
              http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

It would be safe to download it off their main site, as they are the company and they wouldn't infect their product with a virus. Let me know how it goes. Also, MV Regclean automatically makes a backup of your registry before it changes it, so you can restore it if it becomes a problem. A system restore would also do the same thing.

-Stephen

funjoo

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 07:01:41 PM »
              Need to  registry clean.
              http://www.pcerrorsfixer.com/pc_error/index.htm
              this site has some registry cleaners, someone said RegCure is the best .

phoenix910

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 07:18:26 PM »
                Just because one website has put it as their number one, doesn't necessarily mean that it is the best - only that one person's opinion says that it is. Not saying that it isn't - maybe it is, but I was only suggesting some registry cleaners that I have tried and known to be true and that are free - not payed. I have used these before, not just type in "free registry cleaner" in google and listed the results. If you want to try it ay1978, feel free, but I can't guarantee it's effectiveness for cost.

-Stephen

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
                  « Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 07:20:44 PM »
                  try registry cleaner 7

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  • Experience: Beginner
                  « Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 05:06:42 AM »
                  I would remove a side panel and see if all fans are operational...find that noise first as a registry cleaner will not do fans.
                  I'd also check to see who makes the hard drive and DLoad and run the free diagnostics from the manuf. site.
                  " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

SimonA

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 07:06:52 AM »
                    Sorry maybe im inturrupting a bit... BUt i was gona start a new topic and then noticed that someone already had my same problem. So i read this topic and did what you already said. I used Hijackthis and saved a log file. Here it is:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
                    Scan saved at 15:01:16, on 16/11/2007
                    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
                    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16544)
                    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
                    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZCfgSvc.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
                    C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
                    C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
                    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.EXE
                    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\E-KEY\CeEKey.exe
                    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Touch and Launch\PadExe.exe
                    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchPad\TPTray.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\TCtrlIOHook.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDispVol.exe
                    C:\Program Files\F-Secure Internet Security\Common\FSM32.EXE
                    C:\WINDOWS\vVX6000.exe
                    C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Tvs\TvsTray.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
                    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSCDSPD\toscdspd.exe
                    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
                    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
                    C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apntex.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\RAMASST.exe
                    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexStoreSvr.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DVDRAMSV.exe
                    C:\Program Files\F-Secure Internet Security\Anti-Virus\fsgk32st.exe
                    C:\Program Files\F-Secure Internet Security\Anti-Virus\FSGK32.EXE
                    C:\Program Files\F-Secure Internet Security\Common\FSMA32.EXE
                    C:\MATLAB7\webserver\bin\win32\matlabserver.exe
                    C:\Program Files\F-Secure Internet Security\Common\FSMB32.EXE
                    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
                    C:\Program Files\F-Secure Internet Security\Common\FCH32.EXE
                    c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlwriter.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
                    C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Bluetooth Toshiba Stack\TosBtSrv.exe
                    C:\Program Files\F-Secure Internet Security\Common\FAMEH32.EXE
                    C:\Program Files\F-Secure Internet Security\Anti-Virus\fsqh.exe
                    C:\Program Files\F-Secure Internet Security\FSGUI\fsguidll.exe
                    C:\Program Files\F-Secure Internet Security\FSAUA\program\fsaua.exe
                    C:\Program Files\F-Secure Internet Security\Anti-Virus\fssm32.exe
                    C:\Program Files\F-Secure Internet Security\FWES\Program\fsdfwd.exe
                    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
                    C:\Program Files\F-Secure Internet Security\FSAUA\program\fsus.exe
                    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
                    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
                    C:\Program Files\F-Secure Internet Security\Anti-Virus\fsav32.exe
                    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\usnsvc.exe
                    C:\Program Files\Toshiba\TOSHIBA Controls\TFncKy.exe
                    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.howstuffworks.com/
                    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
                    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
                    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
                    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
                    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
                    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZCfgSvc.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ZCfgSvc.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgr.exe] C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLIStart.exe"
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CeEKEY] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\E-KEY\CeEKey.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HWSetup] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Applet\HWSetup.exe hwSetUP
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SVPWUTIL] C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Windows Utilities\SVPWUTIL.exe SVPwUTIL
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PadTouch] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Touch and Launch\PadExe.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPNF] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchPad\TPTray.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TCtryIOHook] TCtrlIOHook.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TDispVol] TDispVol.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [F-Secure Manager] "C:\Program Files\F-Secure Internet Security\Common\FSM32.EXE" /splash
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [F-Secure TNB] "C:\Program Files\F-Secure Internet Security\FSGUI\TNBUtil.exe" /CHECKALL /WAITFORSW
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VX6000] C:\WINDOWS\vVX6000.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tvs] C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Tvs\TvsTray.exe
                    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
                    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TOSCDSPD] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSCDSPD\toscdspd.exe
                    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
                    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
                    O4 - Global Startup: RAMASST.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\RAMASST.exe
                    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
                    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
                    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
                    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
                    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
                    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
                    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1191860420625
                    O16 - DPF: {E8F628B5-259A-4734-97EE-BA914D7BE941} (Driver Agent ActiveX Control) - http://driveragent.com/files/driveragent.cab
                    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
                    O23 - Service: DVD-RAM_Service - Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\DVDRAMSV.exe
                    O23 - Service: FSGKHS (F-Secure Gatekeeper Handler Starter) - F-Secure Corporation - C:\Program Files\F-Secure Internet Security\Anti-Virus\fsgk32st.exe
                    O23 - Service: F-Secure Automatic Update Agent (FSAUA) - F-Secure Corporation - C:\Program Files\F-Secure Internet Security\FSAUA\program\fsaua.exe
                    O23 - Service: F-Secure Anti-Virus Firewall Daemon (FSDFWD) - F-Secure Corporation - C:\Program Files\F-Secure Internet Security\FWES\Program\fsdfwd.exe
                    O23 - Service: F-Secure Management Agent (FSMA) - F-Secure Corporation - C:\Program Files\F-Secure Internet Security\Common\FSMA32.EXE
                    O23 - Service: MATLAB Server (matlabserver) - Unknown owner - C:\MATLAB7\webserver\bin\win32\matlabserver.exe
                    O23 - Service: NBService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe
                    O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
                    O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
                    O23 - Service: TOSHIBA Bluetooth Service - TOSHIBA CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Bluetooth Toshiba Stack\TosBtSrv.exe

--
                    End of file - 7752 bytes

Can you please suggest something ??  :)

Thanks beforehand.

Simon

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 11:02:38 AM »
                    Sorry maybe im inturrupting a bit... BUt i was gona start a new topic and then noticed that someone already had my same problem. So i read this topic and did what you already said. I used Hijackthis and saved a log file. Here it is:

It is still better to start a new Topic so it recieves the proper attention...post it in the Virus and Spyware section...and someone will be along shortly.

ay1978

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
                      « Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 01:56:30 PM »
                      I know that my computer is made by Dell, but how do I find out who made the hard drive?  When I get home tonight I will take the tower cover off and see if there is anything visually wrong with the fans.  Is there some kind of test that I can do to make sure the fans are o.k.  Please bear in mind that I am not familiar with computer components.  I have only taken the tower cover off once in my life! 
                      Thanks for your help "Patio".

Alana

phoenix910

Hopeful

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 06:49:48 PM »
                        With the fans, the main thing to look for is that no cords are getting in the way, and that no dust is preventing them from doing their job properly. Also, check to see if the noise is coming from them, as they bearings may not be properly lubricated.

-Stephen

Sid

Apprentice
                          • Experience: Experienced
                          « Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 04:02:42 AM »
                          I know that my computer is made by Dell, but how do I find out who made the hard drive?  When I get home tonight I will take the tower cover off and see if there is anything visually wrong with the fans.  Is there some kind of test that I can do to make sure the fans are o.k.  Please bear in mind that I am not familiar with computer components.  I have only taken the tower cover off once in my life! 
                          Thanks for your help "Patio".

Alana

There is a program called Belarc Advisor. It will tell you anything you need to know about your computer without opening it.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

patio

• Genius
                          • Maud' Dib
                            • Yes
                          « Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 07:35:24 AM »
                          There is a program called Belarc Advisor. It will tell you anything you need to know about your computer without opening it.

Including what's making the noise inside the case ? ?
                           ::)

Sid

Apprentice
                            « Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 11:37:05 AM »

Including what's making the noise inside the case ? ?
                             ::)

...There's always one, usually it's me.

patio

• Genius
                            • Maud' Dib
                              • Yes
                            « Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 01:08:24 PM »
                            I wasn't knocking your advice sid...just trying to get at the root of the issue which was in the first post.
                            Any noises while the machine is doing something should be checked out...
                            Sorry if i came across that way.

Sid

Apprentice
                              « Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 03:23:20 PM »
                              I wasn't knocking your advice sid...just trying to get at the root of the issue which was in the first post.
                              Any noises while the machine is doing something should be checked out...
                              Sorry if i came across that way.

It's cool, I don't get bent out of shape (very easily).

I should've made it more clear as to what respect I meant.

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
                                « Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 07:09:46 PM »
                                how have you gone with the noise