Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 95 boot disk  (Read 5664 times)

TNorth

Win 95 boot disk
« on: December 18, 2004, 11:33:31 AM »
???

Can you tell me what to type after the A:\ prompt when trying to boot a Win 95 computer from a floppy boot disk? I get tothe A:\ prompt and I don't know what to type there.

This is an old computer and the hard drive is going - or maybe is gone, but I wanted to give it a try with the boot disk and I never know what comes after the A:\ prompt.

Thanks!
TN

Computer_Commando

Re: Win 95 boot disk
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 01:24:51 PM »
...Can you tell me what to type...

Can you tell me what you want to do?

TNorth

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 01:54:21 PM »
Hi!

Well, I want to try to use my boot disk to get the computer started. Right now Windows won't start and I get a disk failure message on the black DOS screen before Windows starts - but I was hoping to try to get it going. When I try to boot from my boot disk I get that A prompt and I don't know what to type there to proceed.

I guess I just need to know how to use that disk to try to make the computer boot.

Thanks
TN

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 01:58:43 PM »
A:\win  or if our you are re-installing the system D:\win95\"    what happens if you try this>>.http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm#00
« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 02:04:34 PM by merlin_2 »

TNorth

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2004, 03:21:22 PM »
Thanks!

No - I don't want to reinstall - just hopefully get it running long enough to be sure I've gotten all my data off of it - it is an old one!

So - at the A prompt type win - that's easy!

I'll check out the safe mode info - that might just do the trick since it does say starting Win 95 and then it won't!

Thanks!

TN