Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: re install win98 hangs up.....help!!!  (Read 8964 times)

spitster

re install win98 hangs up.....help!!!
« on: December 19, 2004, 12:35:42 PM »
 :'(I have tried to fdisk and reformat my hard drive.  Now when I try to install win98 it hangs on trying to copy files needed to start setup.  Any ideas?  :'( :'(

merlin_2

Re: re install win98 hangs up.....help!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 01:18:26 PM »
try rebooting pc .......leave the win98 disk in........

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 01:59:12 PM »
    Do you have a 98 floppy bootdisk?

spitster

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 03:01:32 PM »
    I have a win98 bootdisk and the win98 installation cd.  I use te boot disk to startup and install the usage of a cd rom.  I then insert the cd, change the drive and start setup.  It starts to load, blanks the screen, and the next screen says it is trying to copy the files necessary to start setup on the computer.  Then it hangs up and the drive basically shuts down.  

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 03:22:08 PM »
      :'(I have tried to fdisk and reformat my hard drive.  Now when I try to install win98 it hangs on trying to copy files needed to start setup.  Any ideas?  :'( :'(

You say you tried to Fdisk ...was it successful ?
      Was the format successful....?

let us know

dl65 ::)

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 03:09:36 PM »
      is the hardrive any good.......run scandisk at the a:\ prompt

spitster

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 06:25:47 PM »
      fdisk was successful and the drive I checked the drive.  I installed a new drive and te same thing happened after I installed dos.  It seems to be a problem in dos.  Maybe my dos cd has corrupted some files.  Is that possible?

spitster

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 08:42:49 PM »
      I downloaded and tried to use a new bootable disk.  That allowed the system to at least do the scan disk but when it went to the statement "copying files needed for windows setup...." it froze......     any ideas?
      ???

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 08:53:18 PM »
      Yes......go into the bios.........dont be afraid of a pc....del key on boot and change the boot sequence.....using the arrow keys...... and boot from cdrom......win98 will boot from there format etc.....forget the floppy disks......the have served a very useful purpose in dos life......but the end is nigh........some advert ah..... is this  a laptop!!bios>>http://www.computerhope.com/help/phoenixa.htm
      « Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 09:10:37 PM by merlin_2 »

spitster

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 12:22:35 PM »
      No this is a small desktop used orginally for multimedia files with windows ME on it orginally. I have no recovery disk and the previous owner does not have it either.  The bios will not let me change the boot sequence.  It only will let me boot from a floppy.  I took the original hard drive out, put it in another pc and loaded win98 on it; put it back into the troubled computer and it started the first time, saw and loaded all the hardware drivers and now when it restarts it hangs up on the windows screen.  Could it be the motherboard is going out?  ow do I do a diagnostic test on this thing?  Any sugestions?

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 04:10:36 PM »
      hit ctrl/f5 key on boot.......safe mode......chose start with command prompt.....a:\                command is scanreg/restore or scanreg/fix.....or scandisk c/d whatever your hard drive label is..install the win98......hardrive on the system....boot from floppy and fdisk/format it now load the win98 install disk...and at the prompt  a:\ setup..........or cd win98
      « Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 04:17:04 PM by merlin_2 »