Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Print sharing in windows me  (Read 3693 times)

Harley

Print sharing in windows me
« on: November 20, 2007, 07:27:05 AM »
New at this so please be patient with me . I have a desktop with windows me a laptop with xp with service pack 2 and a laptop with windows vista. I have had the desktop and the xp for along time a friend of mine was able to get the xp to use the printer that is connected to the desktop how he did this I do not know .  Now I cannot get the vista to connect to the printer. The print sharing file is turned on I can share files with all of the computers and the xp will share the printer . I have notice that in the networks folder the printer icon is there but if I click on it with the desktop, it says that the printer is not installed and asks if I won't to install it and if I do it puts a new icon back in my printer folder as printer 2  but it still does not work.The printer is a hp officejet v40. It seems that the share printer program is not putting all the required files in the network folder for the printer to work. Sadly to say my friend as move away. I have been all over the internet trying to find a answer to this. I have dump the networks folder then reinstalled it I have dump the printer then reinstalled it but nothing seems to work. The vista sees the the printer on the desktop and all of the shared files and will connect to the desktop shared files and open them but tells me it can not connect to printer so that's why I think it is in the desktops printer sharing program but I know it could be a lot of things so that is why I am asking for help I know very little about computers.
                                               Thanks
                                                         HARLEY