Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: down arrow key  (Read 7179 times)

sonnysh5

down arrow key
« on: November 21, 2007, 09:12:05 PM »
spilled a little coffee, my down key ended up locked. Did a reboot and thought it cleared the problem but now down key is inactive.  When starting up laptop i get a few quick beeps that are a result of this.   Any help would be appreciated.  dell latitude d600

dairyman

Re: down arrow key
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 09:21:10 PM »
Use a small screwdriver to take the key off and clean it. Turn off the laptop first!

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 09:24:17 PM »
Welcome aboard ;D

Get a can of compressed air. Turn your computer off. Remove all four arrow keys. Holding your laptop upside down, hit arrow keys opening with compressed air. Put back arrow keys, reconnect, restart.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 06:35:52 AM »
Use a small screwdriver to take the key off and clean it. Turn off the laptop first!

Please verify that the keys come off your laptop before attempting to pry them off. Some laptops don't have removable keys and pulling at one may crack it.

Should it be necessary to remove the keyboard to clean it (as most keyboards will come out of laptops so they can be replaced) please use extreme care or contact a professional. Replacing anything on a laptop isn't cheap.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 09:05:48 AM »
Very wise advice...