Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer stop responding  (Read 2838 times)

sam_it_kore

computer stop responding
« on: November 09, 2007, 01:54:12 AM »
i have used windows xp operating system in my computer when i start the computer its booting normally , all the icons and the program load sussecfully, after some times its generates beeps sounds  suddenly its stop responding and my computer is hang up,
please tell me what is the problem
its hardware or software problem 8)

ImpossibleProblems

Re: computer stop responding
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 03:13:45 AM »
I think software. You can check:

Boot computer
After options pass, but before windows starts loading, hold the F8 key (ctrl could work)
Select Safe Mode
If windows loads, go to start>run>msconfig>startup

There you can check what loads with windows. Maybe there is a problem there. If you don't know what to disable, you can also try disabling all the entries, and then try enabling them until you find the startup entry which prevents booting.

If Safe Mode does not load, there is probably a registry problem which is very complex to resolve.

You'll also want to make sure your computer does not have any adware/malware/spyware which often causes such startup problems. You can download free removers like spybot S&D for that.

litespeed14

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 06:05:31 AM »
    More info on your system and what antivirus & malware scanners do you have? Also what type of sound was that? try counting the beeps if you can?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 02:34:42 PM »
    I think software. You can check:

Boot computer
    After options pass, but before windows starts loading, hold the F8 key (ctrl could work)
    Select Safe Mode
    If windows loads, go to start>run>msconfig>startup

There you can check what loads with windows. Maybe there is a problem there. If you don't know what to disable, you can also try disabling all the entries, and then try enabling them until you find the startup entry which prevents booting.

If Safe Mode does not load, there is probably a registry problem which is very complex to resolve.

You'll also want to make sure your computer does not have any adware/malware/spyware which often causes such startup problems. You can download free removers like spybot S&D for that.

This is NOT good advice especially for a person with limited computer experience and a language barrier. This could well cause the computer to not boot at all.

If a computer is giving BIOS beeps, it is not a software problem as that happens before ANY software loads.

Please people, if you don't know, don't just guess.   ::)  Sometimes it is better to not press the post button.

ImpossibleProblems

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 12:20:03 PM »

This is NOT good advice especially for a person with limited computer experience and a language barrier. This could well cause the computer to not boot at all.

If a computer is giving BIOS beeps, it is not a software problem as that happens before ANY software loads.

Please people, if you don't know, don't just guess.   ::)  Sometimes it is better to not press the post button.

Whether it's good advice for a given level of expertise is debatable, but there is no such thing as a startup option which can be disabled and thus prevent Windows from loading. Startup options are not system related, they are entries inserted by third party software. My advice is valid.

And the beeps, well, many programs, Windows included utilise the PC speaker well after loading, as in this case a supposedly normal boot ends with beeps, thus I don't think we can denifitely say this is hardware related. Without more information from the poster, we'll never know.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 12:26:52 PM »
    Sorry but i agree with GX1_Man on this...disabling items in msconfig will indeed if done improperly render a machine un-bootable.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "