Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Opening DVD video disc  (Read 15798 times)

Asking

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Re: Opening DVD video disc
    « Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 11:39:10 AM »
    Hi,
         I haven't got a clue, because I used a DVD Recorder with VCR machine to make the disc.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 05:58:51 PM »
    First of all, let me respond to Broni.  There is no such subfolder.
    What is the video file extension on that DVD? Usually, it'll be the biggest file there.
    As for creating autostarting DVD, you can do it.
    Look at this:
    http://www.phdcc.com/shellrun/autorun.htm
    Of course, you'll have to replace second line there:
    open=setup.exe
    with a file you want to run, when DVD is inserted (movie in your case).

Asking

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 09:49:28 PM »
      Hi Broni,

I checked the properties of the video disc and found its File System is UDF; I don't know how to check its file extension.

Since the disc was created by a DVD recorder, I cannot alter it in any way.  I am convinced that not all the video discs are made AUTORUN.  I just thought that there might be something wrong with my PC or the video disc itself.

Well, I really thank you guys for the effort of trying to solve my so-called problem.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 10:09:02 PM »
      UDF is the regular format for storing files on DVDs/CDs, so you're OK here. Since it was created through DVD recorder, it should open upon inserting.
      You're saying, that other video DVDs will open right away, so I suspect, there is something wrong with this particular disk.
      You may want to examine that DVD through Windows Explorer to see what files you have there.
      If not too many to post them, you may type them in here.

Asking

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 05:13:40 PM »
        Hi,
             The  followings are replies for you:

1.  The created disc opens to play in the DVD recorder when "PLAY" is pressed, but not in the computer when inserted;
             2.  Home--made video discs wwill not open automatically in the my PC, but commercial discs will; and
             3.  I don't know how to check out the file(s) in the video disc from the Windows Explorer, because when I click on the DVD ROM drive, a window pops up saying that Wwindows cannot find the program.exe to open that disc!

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 07:15:27 PM »
        The created disc opens to play in the DVD recorder when "PLAY" is pressed
        What DVD recorder is it? BTW what Windows version are you with?

Home--made video discs wwill not open automatically in the my PC
        Some may not, depending of what's on them. My home made movie videos open without a problem.

a window pops up saying that Wwindows cannot find the program.exe to open that disc!
        Must be that particular disk problem. I can't see any other explanation.
        One more thing to try...get CDCheck: http://www.kvipu.com/CDCheck/

1. Personal users
        If you think this software is useful and you can afford to buy a Personal license, please do that. This will help to cover development costs and you will be entitled to complete support for this product.

If you decide not to purchase a license, you should request Free license from CDCheck ONLINE! (you must register as CDCheck ONLINE! user, activate account, login to CDCheck ONLINE! repository and request free license).

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
          « Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 07:57:11 PM »
          It could be your programs settings. you can tell it not to autorun

Asking

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 09:28:46 PM »
            Hello,
                 Let me talk to Broni first.
                 I have written enough about my story, let me hear about your experience in home-made video discs.
                 Wwhat Windows OS are you using?
                 What DVD player are you usjing?
                 Howw do you make your dvd video disc, by means of a softweare or by using a DVD recorder?

As for Programming pat, I have this to say:
                 I have been trying to make the DVD video disk to run automatically, not to tell the program NOT to autorun!

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #23 on: November 28, 2007, 09:41:07 PM »
            I'm on Vista, and I burn most movie DVDs with Vista's built-in Windows DVD Maker. If I deal with some movie format not supported by Windows DVD Maker, I use Roxio Easy Media Creator 10. All movies made that way will autoplay on my computer.
            However, I rarely watch movies on my computer. I rather use regular DVD player, or I transfer them to my iPod, and watch them on TV. If I watch movie on my computer, I use VLC player.

Asking

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #24 on: November 28, 2007, 10:52:23 PM »
              Hi, Broni,
                   After reading your last post, I understand why you said that you do not have problem playing home--made video discs.
                   For one thing, you are using almost high end stuffs, the next thing is the way we make the dvd discs.
                   You duplicate disc by burning from disc to disc whereas I make a video disc by copying from VHS tape by means of a DVD recorder.  Mind you, I do not have problems with the movies disc purchased or rented from outside.
                  I wonder if you could copy a VHS tape or record something from TV onto a DVD disc and then play it with VLC and see if the disc will be open right away once it is inserted into the drive.  It the result is positive, then I really have a problem somewhere along the line.

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #25 on: November 28, 2007, 11:25:13 PM »
              There is something, I still don't understand:
              I make a video disc by copying from VHS tape by means of a DVD recorder
              What is your DVD recorder? Is it standalone DVD recorder? Also, what is your Windows version?

I wonder if you could copy a VHS tape or record something from TV onto a DVD disc
              Telling the truth, I've never transferred VHS tape to DVD, nor recorded anything from TV to DVD.

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #26 on: November 28, 2007, 11:42:32 PM »
              I think, I finally started to understand what you're saying.
              You recorded VHS video on your standalone DVD recorder, and now, you're trying to play that disk on your computer. Am I right?

If so, read here:
              http://www.askdavetaylor.com/sony_dvd_recorder_dvds_wont_play_elsewhere.html

Asking

Topic Starter

Beginner
                « Reply #27 on: November 29, 2007, 08:35:06 AM »
                Hi,
                     Don't get me wrong.  My problem is: My DVD video disc won't be opened automatically; NOT: My DVD video  disc won't play elsewhere!  Please don't get these two different problems mixed up!!

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                « Reply #28 on: November 29, 2007, 06:34:22 PM »
                You still didn't answer my question:
                What is your DVD recorder? Is it standalone DVD recorder? Also, what is your Windows version?

Asking

Topic Starter

Beginner
                  « Reply #29 on: November 29, 2007, 08:50:54 PM »
                  Hi,
                       Sorry, I thought that was the end of our communication since you did not fully understand what I was asking.
                       It is a Samsung DVD recorder combined with VCR.  As to my Wwindows OS, I am sure I did mention it before; any way, it is no harm mentioning it again, it is Windows 98se.  Pretty old, eh?  But I somehow love it.
                       Any new suggestions?