Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: very old computer needs battery, help please  (Read 2075 times)

potteralice

very old computer needs battery, help please
« on: November 19, 2007, 09:52:16 AM »
hi,   i am old and stupid.  my computer is old but smarter than i am.  i need to replace the battery.  is there a way to just unplug everything and take the "tower" ( i think it is called ) to a place to get a battery installed.  the problem is that i live in harpers ferry west virginia where there is NOWHERE to get help.  i have to go to falls church, virginia, tuesday but do not know what to do or where to go.  anyone out there with an idea??

tommy gusack

Intermediate
    Re: very old computer needs battery, help please
    « Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 09:58:54 AM »
    yeah you could do that, nothing will happen, just bring tower and battery or powersupply, by the way is it an laptop or desktop computer ?
    Theres always.....always something to grab a hold on.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 10:33:26 AM »
    Here's what you need...

Available at WalMart...part # CR2032.
    I'd contact your local Library or High School to see if they have any Computer Clubs...tell them you need this replaced and they'll probably do it for nothing except a smile and some homemade cookies...the battery is only 5 bucks and i'd hate to see you pay a shop to replace something simple.

Harper's Ferry is a neat town...i was there 3 summers ago.

Best of Luck !
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

potteralice

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 10:58:41 AM »
    thank you all,

i unplugged everything and labelled it all, then went to a place called Microcenter in fairfax, va.  i walked in with the tower thing and a screwdriver.  someone stopped me at the door and pointed me inside an office where a man watched as i undid the sides and found the battery (when he identified it) and promised that i would not blow myself up if i took it out carefully.  hey, i build houses and do plumbing all the time, how hard could it be now that i knew what it was.   i had a terrible time removing it because of the tiny, tiny metal clip that holds it in place.  i borrowed a teeny, tiny screwdriver and got it out.  i got a new one from the salesfloor and popped it in, screwed the side back on and left only $1.04 poorer.   thank you.  the man was kind but insisted, (rightly) that he was not a technician, he was a salesman and did his best to convince me that it was time for a new computer since mine dates back to 1990.      i did not want to tell him how far i dated back!!!!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 11:04:05 AM »
    For a dollar four i'd say you did well ! !
    That's why i didn't want to see you pay a shop to do it.
    And you're right about the spring clip...they're tricky and can break rather easily if not careful.
    Anyways Congratulations on doing it yourself and stop by anytime !
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "