Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Home Network  (Read 3655 times)

scanner42

Home Network
« on: December 02, 2007, 09:21:27 AM »
I have two computers that I network with a static IP address on ethernet, and I can not use my DSL connection unless I change the IP address to dynamic. Is there anyway I can still share files and use the DSL , short of getting a second ethernet card?

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Home Network
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 10:55:05 AM »
Is there some reason you don't want to use dynamic all the time? My home network is set with dynamic IPs and I have no problem with file sharing.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to do, could you be a little more specific? Also, could you give details of your network. Are you using a router or cross-over cable? Wireless or cables? Etc. etc. etc.

scanner42

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 11:31:52 AM »
I am using a router switch, and I have straight ethernet cables from each computer to the switch, but if I leave it static, I can not see my other computers hard drive and files

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 01:31:07 PM »
I leave it static, I can not see my other computers hard drive and files
So, do as quaxo said; let Windows automatically detect the IP.  In other words, allow dynamic IP.

scanner42

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 02:23:55 PM »
When I let windows assign it dynamic, Then I can use the DSL on both computers, but I still can not see the other computers hard drives

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 03:13:33 PM »
What OS is on each computer?  Do both computers have the same Workgroup name? 

scanner42

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 04:33:31 PM »
One has xp home, and the other has win 200 pro

akil

Rookie
    « Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 09:24:36 PM »
    Make sure your all computers are in same workgroup name( Right on my computer----->Properties----> Computer Name----> workgroup) and what is class of your gateway IP address?

Example:
    If your gateway IP address  is like 10.0.0.2 then give the static IP like this to your computers

For the first PC- 10.0.0.3
    For Second PC-10.0.0.4

***^^^NoThInG ImPoSSibLe To MaNKinD***^^^

scanner42

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 05:47:36 AM »
    I do all that then the DSL doesn't run with a static IP Address. Is it possible to run two Ethernet cards, one with a static and the other with a dynamic? I could leave one of them disabled at all times, only enabling them when I needed to look at my other computers hard drives or use the DSL

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 06:52:23 AM »
    Running two network cards will work, then you have to bridge the networks together so computers on the other network can access the ADSL network.

File sharing will work on a dynamic setup, but the computers should be on the same workgroup. If they're not, you most likely won't see the shared files.

As your setup is now, set the computers to dynamic, then run the network wizard on each, selecting the appropriate options for the internet connection, workgroup, and file sharing. Windows should then set everything up for you.

Like I said before, this is how mine is setup and it's how I set networks for other people and it works fine.

Microsoft's 'How To' for bridging connections:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02april22.mspx