Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Applications won't start up, problems with installations, the list goes on...  (Read 5340 times)

Ependeon

Hello all,

I'm having computer issues and originally posted in the Windows forum but I was directed here.

Here is my original post:
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,47297.0.html
*edit: I just realized I messed up and put the wrong link, this one is the correct link  ::)

My Computer
- Acer Laptop (Aspire 1692)
- Windows XP Home (Service Pack 2)

I've attached the log files from ESET Online scan and HijackThis. 

Due to one of the problems I'm having with the computer, I was unable to remove programs using the control panel (though I did not see anything that looked suspicious).  This also means I could not remove the older Java programs (I have 'J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6' and 'Java 6 Update 2'). 

The problem is that when I try to access the control panel (after a normal boot up) the computer freezes up (there is still mouse movement but I cannot do anything else, not even access Windows Task Manager, and the computer fan seems to be in high gear).  I can access control panel in safe mode, but I get a message that tells me that I cannot remove any programs while in safe mode.

I also could not get the log from SUPERAntiSpyware because of another problem I've been having.  When I tried to install this program I got the error message "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation."

Here is a brief summary of the problem I've listed in my original post (the link above):

- When I boot up a couple of processes (osa9 and windows search index) use up a lot of my cpu resources, leaving me unable to run any other programs
- When I end these processes or let them finish (which takes about 15 minutes) I can't run any programs on my computer (ex. Word, Internet Explorer, anti-viruses, the list goes on)

- I was actually able to get Word running by replacing a file (I believe I did something to the 'Normal' file) but I cannot save any work done nor can I open previously save files
- When I try to open previously saved files I get the message the it is "locked for editing by 'another user'" and I'm given the "read only" and "notify" options
- When I try "read only" I get the message that the "document name or path is not valid"

- When I try running my anti-virus (AVG) I get the error message that the "folder is not accessible" and "windows cannot find 'avgsetup.exe'..."
- I get the same error message when attempting to run other programs on the computer

- Trying to run Internet Explorer gives me the worst problems, slows everything down, the computer pretty much freezes (the Windows task manager won't even come up), and pretty much all I can do is restart the computer.  Other than being able to move around the mouse, the computer basically seems to freeze.
- I found that this also happens when trying to access 'My Documents', the windows search in the start menu, Control Panel, etc.

- When I run the computer in safe mode I am able to access IE, 'My Documents', Control Panel, etc. but I cannot install programs, and have trouble running certain programs (ex. Adobe Reader), and cannot save/open MS Word documents

- Running in safe mode as administrator (even though my profile has administrator capabilities) fixes some of the problems such as being able to run Adobe Reader, and I am able to install some programs.
- As administrator, I still cannot save/open MS Word documents, and when installing certain programs (ex. MS Office, SUPERAntiSpyware) I get the error message "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation."

That's pretty much all I can say.  I tried to make this as understandable as possible (hopefully) though the link to my original post may be more helpful in outlining the problems and what I've tried so far. 

Can anyone please help me out?

[saving space - attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 11:00:26 AM by Ependeon »

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Superantispyware log is missing.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
You ran HJT is Safe Mode.
Run it in Normal Mode, and repost your log.

Ependeon

could not get the log from SUPERAntiSpyware because of another problem I've been having.  When I tried to install this program I got the error message "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation."

I couldn't install the SUPERAntiSpyware program, even in safe mode as administrator.  I get the "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation" message while in safe mode as administrator.

I tried running HJT in normal mode but I get the error "Run-time error '481': Invalid picture."

Is there any way around these?  :-\

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
It looks like we have a quiet a mess here.
Let me look at your HJT log.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
Your on-line scan went OK (just one adware removed), your HJT log appears to be clean (which doesn't give you clean bill, because some bad guys may load in Normal Mode), so lets assume for now, that it's not malware problem.
Apparently, you lost your administrative rights, and this is one of the first things, we have to fix.
I'd like you to create new profile, and see, if you're gonna have same problems.
How to create new profile:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326688

I'll also post a link for this thread in your other thread, so we'll get more helpers here.

Ependeon

I tried loading a new restore point, like the instructions say, and no luck with this so I went into creating a new account.

I logged in as administrator (in safe mode) and went to the step that says "Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.  Right-click the damaged user account, and then click Delete."

I do not see Performance and Maintenance.  I can go straight to Administrative Tools and Computer Management but I do not see a user account.  All that's listed is Computer Management (local) -> System Tools, Storage, Services and Applications. 

There also isn't the "New User" option under the "Action" menu.

This can be done in safe mode can't it?  Or is it possible to log in as Administrator in normal mode?

This will be my last post for at least a few hours.  Thanks for your help thus far. :)

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
This can be done in safe mode can't it?  Or is it possible to log in as Administrator in normal mode?
It's possible both ways, but you seem to be locked out of your administrative rights.
You may be facing reinstall.
Do you have Windows XP CD, or Recovery CD?

Ependeon

I have the Recovery CD (its actually a 3 CD set).  I also found a "System CD (bootable)", if that does anything for me.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 11:58:21 PM by Ependeon »

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
Recovery CDs will bring your computer to the original, factory state, so you'll have to back up your data, and then you'll have to reinstall all personal programs, updates, and so on.
I'm not sure what "System CD" is. Does it say anything else?

Ependeon

From the brief instructions on the note that comes with the "System CD" it appears as though it is to be used along with the Recovery CDs. 

Before I start, I was just wondering if I am able to back up files on a different drive.  For example, all my data is on the C: drive - if I copy the things I want onto the D: drive, will they be safe there during a recovery?

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
It depends what drive D is.
Partition on the same HD, or separate HD.

Ependeon

It's on the same HD, so I guess I can't.  This may take a while then :P.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
I wish, I could have been of more help, but with so many issues, recovery may be the best option.
Keep us posted.