Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot boot windows ..... suspect loose connections ..... !!!  (Read 2522 times)

shannara777

Cannot boot windows ..... suspect loose connections ..... !!!
« on: December 14, 2007, 07:11:44 PM »
Last week I shipped my Compaq Presario SR1439UK desktop PC from the UK to the US, and on arrival have found that it will not boot up past the "We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this" screen. If I hit any of the options offered (safe mode, last known good configuration, etc), the machine simply boots back to this screen again. Likewise, if I hit the F10 button for system recovery.........  :(

Before shipping, I backed up my entire hard drive and reset the pc to factory settings as I was going to sell it, but changed my mind, so I know that the problem does not relate to anything installed.......  I did check it in its natural state before packing everything away and can definitely say that the PC worked perfectly the day before it was shipped......

The tower was bubble wrapped and made secure before shipping but even so I have no doubt that somewhere along the line something has become jostled..... I have opened up the case to see if I can see any loose connections / components but on the face of it, nothing seems to be amiss...... I have given the drives and connections gentle tweaks and nudges (and don't worry, all those who are shrieking in horror about static charges, I have a grounding strap which I have been wearing!!!), but nothing feels loose or out of place and looking at everything, it all seems ok, but I can feel it in my water that this is where the problem lies.......

..... and this is where I need help!

Although I installed a DVD drive in my PC many many moons ago, I don't know too much about how everything connects together and I am terribly nervous about poking around inside the case in case I damage anything and cause problems that didn't exist before I went diving in!! Can anyone tell me how I can go about checking for loose bits or which components I should be definitely checking on. Are there certain components which would cause this error more than others, or wires which could come loose and not be too noticeable?

This is probably a silly question and I apologise in advance for it  :-[ but attached to one of my dvd drives is a connection with a 4-pin end which is just hanging there .... is it possible this was connected to something originally?

....... and what about the CMOS battery ..... I don't know if this is something I should whip out and pop back again to see if that works..... If it had anything to do with this error, would I need to know any of the BIOS settings and manually input them, or would slotting the battery back in place automaticall cover that? Sorry, if this sounds like a blonde question and it's way off track :) ...... lots of techie people are probably shaking their heads in disgust and tutting under their breaths right now, but I need to know!!!  :D

Any help or advice on all or any of the above will be gratefully & warmly received.

I appreciate your help  :)

Michelle
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 09:24:06 PM by shannara777 »

homer

Expert
    Re: Cannot boot windows ..... suspect loose connections ..... !!!
    « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 01:08:07 AM »
    Last week I shipped my Compaq Presario SR1439UK desktop PC from the UK to the US

can i assume you bought a new power supply or some sort of converter? as US and UK plugs differ in shape, voltage, and frequency.

Are there certain components which would cause this error more than others, or wires which could come loose and not be too noticeable?

i would reseat your RAM and PCI cards. (reseat= remove then reinsert)

This is probably a silly question and I apologise in advance for it but attached to one of my dvd drives is a connection with a 4-pin end which is just hanging there .... is it possible this was connected to something originally?

it is not uncommon to have a couple of spare connectors left unattached and dangling.

and what about the CMOS battery ..... I don't know if this is something I should whip out and pop back again to see if that works

unplug your comp, take it out for 30 seconds, then pop it back in. that will reset your BIOS. that might fix the problem.

lots of techie people are probably shaking their heads in disgust and tutting under their breaths right now,
    nonsense, if there are people here foolish enough to be doing that, they should leave. this is a computer help forum, these kinds of questions should be expected.

please post back if reseating your components and resetting your BIOS does not work.

Astoria

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 01:11:48 AM »
      My first thought was hard drive.

Check the connectors to and from the hard drives.

Now after a first thought came  second thought....it's a miracle LOL  ;D

But don't these thing go through security when they enter the US?
      With metal detectors and stuff?

I'm not sure how that all works, but if a metal detector uses magnetism......it may have wiped some of your HD.

Just a thought though.

homer

Expert
        « Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 01:37:11 AM »
        I'm not sure how that all works, but if a metal detector uses magnetism......it may have wiped some of your HD.

why would they use a metal detector on a metal computer? of course it has metal in it.

Astoria

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 02:36:52 AM »

why would they use a metal detector on a metal computer? of course it has metal in it.

Maybe because it was in a cardboard box?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 08:40:22 AM »
          Airport scanners will not harm a HDD...if they did there would have been thousands of lawsuits by laptop owners everywhere.
          Follow Homer's advice on reseating all components and removeing/replacing the CMOS battery...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Astoria

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 09:55:06 AM »
            Airport scanners will not harm a HDD...if they did there would have been thousands of lawsuits by laptop owners everywhere.
            Follow Homer's advice on reseating all components and removeing/replacing the CMOS battery...

OK, like I said, just a thought.