Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help me out plz!!!!  (Read 3733 times)

jothiz

help me out plz!!!!
« on: December 05, 2007, 06:21:50 PM »
 i have beem having the problems in my mouse for a quite a long time.....at first i was using windows  XP and i noticed at some times the mouse doesnt work and it shows a error code 24 in the device manager... i tried unplugging the mouse and reinstalling the drivers... but nothing seems to work out.... :obut this happens only at some times the rest of the times the mouse works just fine.... im sure it is not a problem with the mouse as it works just fine in other computer.....now recently i upgraded to windows vista but sadly im still facing the same problem.... but the thing i noticed here is when i go the device manager in the mice and other pointing device if it shows as microsoft ps\2 then my mouse doesnt work amd the same error code 24 , but when i uninstalled the microsoft ps\2 drivers and when i reinstalled the com 2 port drivers,in the device manager  mice and other pointing device if it shows as microsoft serial mouse and my mouse works just fine......this problems happens whenever i turn off and turn on my computer....... plz..plz... help me out.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: help me out plz!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 05:24:02 AM »
Have you made any changes in the BIOS ?
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

jothiz

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 10:24:41 AM »
no i havent made any changes in the bios.....

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 02:56:02 AM »
From Microsoft:

Code 24
This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)

Recommended resolution
The device does not appear to be present. The problem could be bad hardware, or a new driver might be needed.

Devices stay in this state if they have been prepared for removal. After you remove the device, this error disappears.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard.

Not sure it'll help, but you can try running the Troubleshooting Wizard (if you haven't already).

You also mentioned the Com 2 drivers. Double check the settings for Com 2 in your BIOS.

If you can, get a hold of a different serial mouse and try that. If you're still having problems, it's possible there is a fault in the port itself.

jothiz

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 11:43:17 AM »
i have already done the troubleshooting using the wizrd...but it doesnt work. :(......can u tell me what properties should be changed for com2 in the bios settings?????

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 12:28:29 PM »
Is there a reason you need to still use a serial port Mouse ? ?
Do you have PS2 connectors on this machine ? ?

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 12:59:21 PM »
Is there a reason you need to still use a serial port Mouse ? ?
Do you have PS2 connectors on this machine ? ?

I was wondering that myself. I was going to suggest ditching the serial mouse and getting a PS/2 or USB mouse. Just curious as to why the current one isn't working properly.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 05:18:55 PM »
If you remember back in the day of 28.8 modems you would remember how many things can go wrong with COM port setups...one day it's Grand the next day who knows ? ?

jothiz

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 08:54:38 AM »
i have only a ps/2 mouse but the strange thing is it works as a microsoft serial mouse.........

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 09:34:45 AM »
They will sometimes be identified this way by Device Manager...replace the mouse with a new PS2 mouse.