Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why do I have 2 My Docments?  (Read 3489 times)

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Why do I have 2 My Docments?
    « on: December 05, 2007, 06:34:12 PM »
    I'm trying to make Thank You cards for my husband (he's a mail carrier and likes to thank people that give him $$) and I'm importing a card design from one program to another card program.  First I saved the card design to My Documents, then when I went to the program I'm going to use and told it to import from My Documents, another whole different My Documents came up that did not have that card on it.  When I go onto the Desktop or from Start to My Documents, it is on that My Documents.  But the when I click on the "Import Picture or Clip" from the card program I'm trying to use, it will not bring up the My Documents that has the design saved on it. It brings up the other one.  How can I have 2 and how do I get around this problem? When I try to import the design from one to the other, the computer tells me that already exists in that format.  I'm so confused and so computer stupid that I am about at my wits end with this.  I know I've done it in years past, but this time it is not working.  Anyone know what's happening here?  Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks - Debby

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Why do I have 2 My Docments?
    « Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 12:27:18 AM »
    Having multiple My Documents folders is normal.  There is at least one for the Administrator and one for each user.   When you click on Start is there not a user name at the top of the pop-up window?  If there is then you are in that user.

Check the path to the My Docs folder you want by opening Documents and Settings and selecting the user.

Seems you may have saved the card design in one My Docs and are trying to import it from another.

Good luck
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: Why do I have 2 My Docments? and how do I merge them?
      « Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 10:45:58 PM »
      Thanks Dusty, I see what you are saying.  Now, how do I put the two My Docs into one?  I tried and every time I do, my computer tells me it can't be done because they are running in the same path.(?????) It just doesn't make sense to me that when I am in the card program and I want to import a picture, it gives me My Docs, which of course is not the right one, and I can't select the one I need.  Does anyone know of a way to merge these together? 

Thanks, Debby

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 08:23:40 AM »
      You don't want to merge them...this would just duplicate everything.
      In the program is there a drop down menu for file locations ? ?
      If so simply navigate to the correct My Documents folder and open a file. It should then remember that location next time you open the program.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

redeye

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 08:40:02 AM »
        It is normal to have more than one my documents folder on a computer per user account. Administrator, All Users, Guest and Owner are some of the standard names.

I am not sure about the path already being in use... Is that a message that the program tells you or does it seem to be a windows error?

One thing you could try is rebooting the PC. (Standard answer I know...) But the reason I say it this time is because if you switch users in Windows XP, it doesn't always close out the other user completely so some files stay "open". When you reboot, Windows shuts down and closes everything. Then you can log back into Windows and then you may be able to get to the file or path you need. Something to try which may or may solve the issue.

If that doesn't work, you will have to get a little more technical and copy contents of folders around. Fairly simple when you know where to look.

1. Click on Start, there should be name at the top of the menu, make a note of it.
        2. Click on Start, click on my computer, then double click Local Disk (usually C:), we are looking for the folder "Documents and Settings"
        3. When you click on that it will list all of the users folders on your PC.
        4. Look for the folder named the same name you made a note of in step 1.
        5. Double click that folder, in that folder double click the folder named Username's Documents. (So if the user is Debbie, click on Debbie's Documents.)

Where you should be is the My Documents folder when you login as the username in step 1.

If the card template is there. You may need to re-path the location within the Card program.
        If the card template is not there. You will have to go back a few steps to #3 and look through the other users folders, find the template files, and copy them to your folder.

Hopefully that helps... back to work now. :-)

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 10:01:22 AM »
        It is normal to have more than one my documents folder on a computer per user account. Administrator, All Users, Guest and Owner are some of the standard names.

I believe it's normal to have ONE "My Documents" folder per user. 

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
        « Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 03:33:45 PM »
        Debby - part of our problem in trying to advise is that you have not said how many accounts there are on your computer or whether you are/were working as Admin or User when the files you want to import were created.   There will be a My Docs folder for Admin and each User listed in the Docs & Settings folder.   

If you only have two (Admin and another which we'll call Username) then I suggest you locate the file(s) which you want to import then copy them to whichever folder does not contain them.

So navigate to c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents and try to locate the file(s) there.   If the file(s) do not exist in that folder then:

Navigate to c:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents to locate the file(s) and then Copy them to c:\D & S\Admin\My Docs or you could go back and Save the card design to the specific My Docs folder which currently does not contain it.

And vice versa of course.

Yes, I appreciate that this is just a workaround and the files will be duplicated but it might get you off the hook.   

If you wish to you can change the location of your Username\My Documents folder - see here - but I suggest you try the above first.

Good luck 
        One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 08:25:06 PM »
          Dusty, I have never set up my computer to be used as administrator or a certain user name.  When the computer guy re-did everything on my computer, he just put down Debby, so that is all I know about other accounts and user names.  Just Debby. I have tried to move the design from one My Docs to another (and it tells me the path is the same), to other card programs, to Microsoft Word, a 3-1/2 floppy, and anywhere else I could find, with no luck!  Time is running short so I will have to go with a card program I know and not worry with that particular design this year.  I do, however, want to learn how to work with this particular problem, so I will do what you have suggested.

Thanks a bunch!  Debby

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 07:47:37 AM »
          Debby.
          Although not a solution Here are some wonderful download card images FREE courtesy of the Hubble Space Telescope...

I'd suggest saving them to the desktop or a folder created by you so the card program can find them...

Enjoy !
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "