Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Automatic Updates Not Funtioning  (Read 2320 times)

spacejocky

Automatic Updates Not Funtioning
« on: December 08, 2007, 10:56:16 PM »
I was having issues with some small things..My recycle bin wasn't making any sounds..IE6 icon was missing from the desk top and then was there again..Search didn't work from the start menu though it did from the toolbar in Windows explorer..ect. ect...anyhow i reinstalled Windows and it fixed all that stuff but for some reason now it wont let me update..I am running XPSP2..i have tried to turn auto update off and do it manually, on the website it tells me that the updates are downloaded and ready to be installed when i try it tells me that "some updates were not able to be installed" and then lists all of them..These troubles have been going on for two weeks and i think i am going bald..Mcafee turns up nothing spybot same ad aware same..please help

nickc1976

Intermediate

Re: Automatic Updates Not Funtioning
    « Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 02:45:13 AM »
    Try this:

1. Clean up Windows Update temporary folder

1.1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

1.2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

1.3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

1.4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

2. Reinstall Windows Update Agent 3.0

2.1. Download the file from the following link:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

2.2. Save the file to C: drive Root (C:)

2.3. Click Start, Run, type: "C:WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce" (without quotations) and then press Enter to install the Windows Update engine. (There is a space between "C:WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" and "/wuforce")

Note: If you are using Windows Vista, please save the downloaded file to the D: drive, because the file cannot be launched directly from the C: root directory.

3. Reinstall Windows Installer 3.1 (important)

3.1. Press Start and choose Run.

3.2. Type in "cmd" (without quotation marks) and press OK.

3.3. In the command line, type in the following command and press Enter:
    MSIexec /unregister (Note: there is a space before the “/”)

3.4. Then, type in the following command and press Enter:
    MSIexec /regserver (Note: there is a space before the “/”)

4. Now, try running updates again. If they still fail, then you’ll need to do a reinstall of Windows Installer:

4.1. Start, click Control Panel, and click Add/Remove Programs to check if Windows Installer 3.1 has been installed.

4.2. If it has, highlight and remove it.

4.3. After that, reinstall Windows Installer 3.1 from the following link.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=889482fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&DisplayLang=en
    http://www.pc-citadel.com - PC and Laptop repairs upgrades and customization

DragonFly

Rookie

Re: Automatic Updates Not Funtioning
      « Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 05:44:26 AM »
      Try Nickc1976 idea first. Otherwise it falls into these 2 categories: 1) Have you check the services? Maybe Auto Update is disabled.  2) You haven't activate your windows version. You can't update unless you activate with validate key. Uncle Bill Gate tried to protect his Windows Update by using WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage).
      HappyGuy