Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Uninstalling Problem WinXP home on Win98se  (Read 5790 times)

Andinari

Uninstalling Problem WinXP home on Win98se
« on: December 28, 2004, 03:40:20 AM »
Hello
On my relatively new pc, I have recently added XP to my
(wonderfully stable) 98se. I'm overseas and XP is in another language, and now I can't uninstall it anymore.
I have 2 os on the same hdd, and whereas before I could format D (XP), now, I can't access it anymore for some reason, although it is there. Is there a way, preferably w/out 3rd party software, to gain access to the partitioned drive D to reformat, or another way to deinstall XP w/out damaging my 98? Btw, my 98 is FAT 32, my XP is NTFS, 512MB.
I'de be very grateful if somebody out there could help me.
:)

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Uninstalling Problem WinXP home on Win98se
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 06:47:42 AM »
Well, I for one would not say that having two operating systems is really a good idea..... All it does is eat-up your memory. Who is your computer manufacturer?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Zzyzx

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 08:40:43 AM »
You might try FDISK from Win98 and see if you can delete the XP partition.  You could also try the Computer Management Disk Manager in XP but I doubt you would be able to delete the currently running OS!

Note: if you do get rid of XP be sure to check the BOOT.INI file on the C: drive and remove any references to booting a second partition.

Good luck!  ;D

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 01:34:53 PM »
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q303661/   and re-insatll winxp taking note ....that winxp will create partions....chose one drive maybe d(where it will be loaded to)..  .......e /f will be your cdrom drive/and cdw drive if it applies!!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 01:39:05 PM by merlin_2 »