Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer seems dead  (Read 2946 times)

neil8592

Computer seems dead
« on: December 07, 2007, 01:30:57 AM »
Hope someone has some ideas for a computer 'newbie' :P

The problem with my PC is that it just suddenly went completely dead. When I 'power' it up, nothing at all happens, no beebs, no fans run nothing. I thought it was a power supply problem, so I replaced that and still no joy. Power seems to be getting through as the keyboard power indicator lights up when I turn the power supply on, but nothing else seems to happen. I have noticed that occasionally when I switch the PC on, the CPU fan judders slightly - but then that is it. All the cable connections seem fine.

Anyone any ideas?

homer

Expert
    Re: Computer seems dead
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 05:23:33 PM »
    Hope someone has some ideas for a computer 'newbie' :P

The problem with my PC is that it just suddenly went completely dead. When I 'power' it up, nothing at all happens, no beebs, no fans run nothing. I thought it was a power supply problem, so I replaced that and still no joy. Power seems to be getting through as the keyboard power indicator lights up when I turn the power supply on, but nothing else seems to happen. I have noticed that occasionally when I switch the PC on, the CPU fan judders slightly - but then that is it. All the cable connections seem fine.

Anyone any ideas?

you replaced the PS with a new one and it still doesnt work? the first thing that comes to my mind is a motherboard failure, assuming that you have everything hooked up right.

pkpollard

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 01:08:20 PM »
    I just started having the same problem. I press the 'on' button and nothing happens. Somehow the issue occasionally resolves itself when I unplug it and then plug it back in, then press the 'on' button and it will come on. Sometimes this doesn't work - it will act like a car that needs a 'jumpstart', it will just start to turn on, but then it won't. Could this be a power supply issue?

Frankie

Apprentice
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 04:43:29 PM »
      Disconnect everything apart from cpu, heatsink & fan, ram, graphics card and monitor. Now start the pc and come back and let use know what happens. Could be that your cpu fan has died, but lets see.