Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor problems  (Read 2398 times)

fido88

Monitor problems
« on: December 15, 2007, 01:36:33 PM »
Recently, after putting my computer in the standby mode,  i have been experiencing display problems, as in some icons not being displayed, the screen being hour glass shaped and error messages having do to with np4 display...after this error message the computer shuts down for the protection of the winxp system...my question is...is the monotor shot?  the monitor works fine after turning on the computer, but in standby mode it may or may not work.........thanks...  i have unplugged and plugged in the monitor.....don't know if this helps, but the same problem keeps happening...........

homer

Expert
    Re: Monitor problems
    « Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 03:09:48 AM »
    try the monitor on a different computer, a computer that you know works.

fido88

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 12:03:39 PM »
    The monitor worked ok on another computer.....however this morning i had the resolution set to 1024 x 768 and after running a program it went back to 800x600......i have checked under "devices" to see if there is a problem and it showed display devices all working fine.........seems like the 1024 x 768 is a problem.....but i have run this before w/o a problem.........dunno ::)the refresh rate is set at 70.....

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 12:39:29 PM »
    the fact that the errors produced relate to the graphics card (NV4?) would lead me to believe it is likely a problem with the Video card not coming off standby.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »
    You may just need to update your video drivers.

fido88

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 01:29:49 PM »
    i updated the drivers at the nvidea site two days ago and the problem is still ongoing........as far as the driver coming off standby, what can i do about that?  i used the windows xp driver update but my main drive is NTFS.....so, should i choose the nt portion of the updated options or should i choose the windows xp option?  The driver is a GeForce 6200 A-LE......thanks..........sorry to be so ignorant...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 09:25:45 AM »
    If the option exists, you could give Windows 2000 drivers a shot. I know I have a Radeon 7000 that refuses to work properly with the XP drivers on my XP computer, but when I replace a single driver file, ati2dvag.dll with the recovery console with the one I extract from the Windows 2000 cabinet file, everything works happily together.

Don't take the risk with NT4 or earlier. I tried that once and it always causes a BSOD the moment the start menu would appear.

or, you could do what I do- don't put the computer on standby at all :) in fact, I don't even have the option....
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.