Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't get rebuilt computer to boot  (Read 3162 times)

Ravynwolvf

Can't get rebuilt computer to boot
« on: December 18, 2007, 11:01:36 AM »
I've been all over the internet trying to find help with this particular problem. I have built 2 computers before and tho I'm not an expert I have a good idea of what I am doing. Here is the problem. I am trying (have been trying for some time) to get my sisters computer up and running again (one I built). It just went dead, wouldn't power on or anything. I tried changing the power supply, nothing. So I took it home and ordered a new case with yet another power supply, hoping it was just a bad switch. When I put the board in and turned on the power supply switch everything started humming along immediately, but no video. She said she had also been having that problem where the computer would power on but the screen was blank. I managed to get it to come on all the way by fiddling with it once, but never again. Soooo...

Since i have ordered another motherboard, another video card, another hard drive(nothing to do with the problem obviously). So I sit here with two motherboards, two cases, two power supplies, two sticks of memory to try, two video cards, and no matter what combination I try I get the same thing.

When I turn on the power supply switch everything starts spinning. Fans go, I can hear the hard drive spinning, but no video. And I can't get it to shut off using the tower power on and off switch. I am relatively sure I have the panel connectors correct as I have manuals for both boards. I have cleared cmos umpteen times. It would make me feel better if I could at least get the board to shut back off, or wait for me to turn it on with the tower switch so I get some sneaky suspicion that the reason it's not booting has to do with how it's powering on (the atx soft power switch??) but I can't seem to find any posts anywhere about similar symptoms. If everything is hooked up correctly it shouldn't be turning on with the power supply switch, should it?

Any suggestions would help. One board is a kt7a-raid, the other a FIC AZ31. I don't think that matters much tho as I think I must be missing something here. The power supplies should be powerful enough to boot the  computer up. Thanks for any help ayone can give, I'm running out of hairs to pull out.

nickc1976

Intermediate

Re: Can't get rebuilt computer to boot
    « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 09:00:07 AM »
    When you power it on, does the monitor say "No input signal"?

Have you tried a different monitor and monitor cable?
    http://www.pc-citadel.com - PC and Laptop repairs upgrades and customization

Ravynwolvf

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 09:43:31 AM »
    Tho I only have one monitor I'm sure it works because I can hook it up to my own computer (which unfortunately is newer and no help whatsoever swapping out memory, processors, etc whioch are all incompatible with the one I'm trying to fix) and it works perfectly. It doesn't say no input signal during my attempts to boot up, but then it doesn't say it when its turned on but not hooked up to anything either. Then the screen just gets green. No, it just stays black when hooked up to the turned on computer. But it is pretty old as well and not very intuitive.

solotekk

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 11:27:27 PM »
      I've seen this type of thing before, and my thought is that it's a bad video card, or the video card is not seated correctly in the pci slot.

If that doesn't work, then try reseating your memory sticks.

try that out and let me know what happens.

thanks,
      solotekk
      Never sit down in front of a computer and think to yourself, "This will only take a minute."

DragonFly

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 07:43:30 AM »
        I have a similar problem on my computer but my problem might be different because I couldn't get into CMOS.  Can you get into CMOS? Does your motherboard has an integrated video card? If it does then try and see does it works or not before insert your AGP or PCI video card.

HappyGuy

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 08:40:56 AM »
          Strip the system of everything but the motherboard / video / RAM.  Boot the system.  Do you POST?  If so, start adding one component at a time, starting with the keyboard, mouse, etc., until the system fails.  Usually the last component installed is the culprit...though not always.

Alan <><   :D
          I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!