Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 98 help(cleaned HD and cannot re-install)  (Read 4424 times)

rsmkmm

Win 98 help(cleaned HD and cannot re-install)
« on: December 16, 2007, 03:52:09 PM »
I can only get to the prompt screen. It stops @ A:\ I don`t know where to go from here.
I`ve tried just about everything I know, which isn`t much really. I rebooted pc w/floppy disk for win 98 and thats as far as I can get. I wanted to wipe the pc clean and start over. I don`t need any of the old programs I had on it and there were some other things I couldn`t get rid of. I first tried E-Z Recovery and it pretty much messed it up. I was able to get to an illegal thing and couldn`t go anymore so I decided to wipe the pc clean. Now I`m stuck.  ??? Any help is greatly appreciated. I want to give my niece the pc since her old one crapped out. It is basically going to be used for school and games and NO internet. Just want to see if I can get the pc back to a regular state with nothing on it. I can add programs later.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Win 98 help(cleaned HD and cannot re-install)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 06:22:17 PM »
Welcome to the CH forums.

1. Boot from a Windows 98 boot floppy. If you do not have one, see http://www.bootdisk.com
   2. Run fdisk. Using fdisk, remove all partitions from the drive, and create new ones as needed.
   3. At the A:\> prompt type Format C: and hit Enter.  The hdd will now be formatted.
   4. On completion of Step 3. insert the Win 98 cd into the drive and at the A:\> prompt type R:\setup (where R: is the drive letter of your cdrom, you will have to determine which it is) and hit Enter.   Follow the on-screen prompts to install Win 98.

Step 2. can be omitted if you do not want to alter the partitions.

You will need your Win 98 Product Code, drivers as necessary and other software.

Good luck

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.