Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router problems  (Read 6261 times)

gmcfan

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router problems
    « on: December 21, 2007, 12:49:44 AM »
    I bought this thing a few days ago, and proceeded to connect all three of our computers to it. Now, I can access all the computers from each computer, but I put the setup wizard CD in each comp, and it all says the same thing. "Router not found, please make sure the router is properly connected and try again." I've checked all my connections, and everything is fine. All three computers are running Win XP Professional. All the lights that should be lit on the router are lit. I was reading on here that most routers use 192.168.0.1. One of my computers uses this IP as well. Does that matter? It still shows the same error message whether that computer is on or not. I tried resetting the router, and I have the same problem. When I first got the router, I tried setting it up, and it wanted to know IP and subnet mask and stuff that my DSL provider provided me, but the DSL wasn't ready to go at the time, and I didn't have the info, so I quit the setup wizard. Could this be part of the problem? I also tried the ipconfig commands, the window comes up for about half a second then disappears, so I can't see what's going on. How can I resolve that?

I think that's it for now. I really want to get this working right, the DSL is ready to do, and I can't settle for having to use my dads computer to access the internet.

Thanks guys,
    Jon

gmsand

Re: Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router problems
    « Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 04:00:27 AM »
    Which Linksys model are you trying to configure?

Regardless of whether you're hooking up a hard-wired or wireless system, you need to first declare one computer as the 'hub' which for lack of a better description is the 'admin' station.  Once your hub is up and running then you need to configure your LAN, also from the 'hub'.  The devil is in the details, follow Linksys's directions to the letter and don't try to skip steps and assume things don't need to be done or not done in the order prescribed in the documentation.  Approach this project one small step, one pc at a time.  Try to avoid overwhelming yourself with the 'big picture',  you will only frustrate yourself.  There are no short-cuts to a clean installation and the end results will be well worth the time and effort it took to do it right in the first place.  This should be a 'one-time' deal and if it's worth being done, it's worth being done right.  Good luck.  8)

gmcfan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 08:33:00 AM »
      It's model BEFSR41. The router came with almost no instructions, it does have two steps, they both involve inserting the CD into the computer and following the instructions on the CD.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 10:03:10 AM »
      Linksys has a 72 page user's manual in PDF format here.  I believe you can find plenty of helpful info on their site.

gmsand

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 12:16:25 PM »
      Product Description

Think of the EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch as a kind of "splitter" for your Internet connection. Just connect your DSL or Cable Modem to the Router, and all the computers in your household can share the Internet -- all at the same time. The built-in 4-port switch lets you attach four local PCs directly, or daisy-chain out to more hubs and switches as your network grows.

Once your computers are connected to the Internet through the Router, they can communicate with each other too, sharing resources and files. All your computers can print on a shared printer connected anywhere in the house. And you can share all kinds of files between computers -- music, digital pictures, and other documents. Keep all your digital music on one computer, and listen to it anywhere in the house. Organize all of your family's digital pictures in one place, to simplify finding the ones you want, and ease backup to CD-R. Play head-to-head computer games within the household, or against Internet opponents. Utilize extra free space on one computer when another's hard drive starts to fill up.

It's all easier than you think -- the included Setup Wizard takes you through configuring the Router, step by step. The Router can act as a DHCP server for your network, so your PCs are configured automatically. Universal Plug-and-Play (UPnP) lets specialized Internet applications configure the Router so you don't have to. Built-in NAT technology helps keep intruders out of your computers.

With the EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch at the heart of your home network, you don't need to be a networking genius to share printers, files, and your high-speed Internet connection.

gmcfan

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 03:46:48 PM »
        I was finally able to access the router by changing my network settings to automatically supply an ip address and all that other crap, and I connected my modem to it, now the router won't access the internet, I tried changing the settings in the router, and now I'm having the same problem as I was before, not being able to access the router. I have no idea what is going on here. I've never had this much trouble with anything in my life. It's enough to drive me insane. I hope someone has a solution, because I'm about to throw it all out into the street and watch it get run over.

gmcfan

Topic Starter

Beginner
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 04:01:56 PM »
          Do DSL modems have a set IP address or anything? If I remember right they do, but I can't remember what it is. Anyone help out?