Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Loading windows 98 SE  (Read 4948 times)

BRW

Loading windows 98 SE
« on: December 31, 2004, 09:35:15 AM »
Fiirst of all, Happy New Year to all. I have a gateway 700 computer. I just installed a new seagate 40g hard drive. The old hard drive died, and was 10g.

When I loaded windows 98 SE ( to help avoid with patch and security issues) I got an error message I/O out of bounds or something like that. I can start computer and  windows seems to work ok, However, it  says I need drivers for  pci card and for audio/video.

How come they didn't load  from  operation back up cd, and is it as simple as finding and loading those drivers,, Please help at witts end, and have been with out home computer for way to long , Thanks for all your help

Computer_Commando

Re: Loading windows 98 SE
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 10:59:31 AM »
...How come they didn't load  from  operation back up cd, and is it as simple as finding and loading those drivers...

Win98 isn't too good at finding its drivers.  When it asks for them, you may have to point it to the exact directory on the CD.  How do you know which one this is?  Start with \Win98, if it can't find them there, try somewhere else.

merlin_2

Re: Loading windows 98 SE
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 12:59:23 PM »