Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CSVed  (Read 11734 times)

Broni

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
CSVed
« on: December 24, 2007, 10:42:41 AM »
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,68632-order,1-page,1/description.html?tk=nl_ddxdwn

View, edit, sort, export, and convert CSV files with this powerful utility.

CSV (Comma Separated Value) files are among the most common means of transferring data between otherwise incompatible systems. They are human-readable and nearly every program which deals with rows of data can parse them. However, they can be a nightmare to edit and view manually, especially if they are large. CSVed, a "cardware" program, is an extraordinary tool to view, edit, and manipulate these files. It has become part of my standard utility toolbox and I anticipate it using it daily in the future, since many files I work with as a database programmer come to me in this format.

The interface is easy to use, but not uncluttered. The top half of the screen shows your data; the bottom half has tabs. A lot of tabs. If there is something a reasonable user might wish to do with a CSV file that this program doesn't have an option for, somewhere, I will be surprised. Delete a column, sort by a column, edit a single record or set a value for a whole column, even swap the negative sign from the front of a number to the back--the feature set is incredibly rich.

The program is also capable of changing the separator from a comma to a tab, pipe, or a user-selected symbol, as well as many other manipulations. It can also export to XML, and this was the only feature I found which was "quirky". The XML file it output seemed well-formed when I opened in a text editor, but it could not be read by Microsoft's XML viewer due to an invalid (blank) encoding type. Removing the ' encoding="" ' tag in the XML file header fixed this problem and the file then opened perfectly.

I tested the program with several CSV files I use in my database work, and it opened even the largest (15 megabytes) quickly and smoothly. If you work with CSV files at all, I strongly recommend this program.