Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AVI files problem  (Read 33806 times)

belvin

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: AVI files problem
    « Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 02:40:57 AM »
    Hi Broni,

Managed to download XP codec file this morning OK – but has not made any difference to AVI Problem.

With regards to “Quote” (installed “Windows Media Player 11”) I was talking to my Word/Access/Excel teacher at Night College, about this problem and told me it would over-ride any conflict issues. It was a plain disc. Only used it over Xmas hols. Problem started long before then.

Thanks

Belvin

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 07:13:13 PM »
    I'm out of options. Reinstall Windows over the top?

belvin

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 01:12:33 AM »
      Hi Broni,

Took your advice and completely rebooted Windows, allowing it to delete all programmes. Checked an AVI file, and at moment problem seems to be solved.

But, when I tried to open Windows MovieMaker, which was installed by the Windows start-up disc, it will not open. Downloaded latest version from Microsoft, and still will not open.

Message reads "Windows Movie Maker cannot be used because the required audio hardware cannot be found on your computer"

Can you help and advise what has gone wrong now, please?

Thanks in advance

Belvin

belvin

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 07:46:21 AM »
        Hi Broni,

Now I have had time to check properly - I still have exactly the same problems with AVI files. WMV or MPG are not affected.

But now I am in a worse position, because besides Windows Moviemaker not working, I tried to re-install my Windows XP Office disc, and the computer kept freezing. I then tried to instal my Lexmark printer from disc, and the programme goes a little way and then freezes.

I really hope you can help me here, because I do not know what is happening here, or what to do about it.

Thanks in advance

Belvin

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 08:48:54 AM »
        Have you considered the possibility that your CD/DVD drive itself is failing ? ?
        To test this install it in another working machine and see...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

belvin

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 04:59:01 PM »
          Hi Patio,

Don,t think that it can be that, as I burned two DVDs today perfectly. I think something nasty & clever has invaded my computer. Too many different problems now. Just do not know what to do about it.

Thanks

Belvin

belvin

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 06:34:23 PM »
            Hi Broni,

I have noticed that since I rebooted my system, and trying to find out what is still wrong - I went into Control Panel / System / Hardware / Device Manager, and that two of the headings are in a "yellow question mark" mode. They are entitled Multimedia Controller & Raid Controller.

Would this have anything to do with the AVI problems etc. I have still got, and if they are, what can I do about them?

Thanks in advance

Belvin

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 06:40:45 PM »
            Multimedia Controller, possible influence. Usually it concerns your audio device.
            Under what section in Device Manager is it listed? Unknown devices?
            Is your sound device listed OK?

belvin

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 04:15:13 AM »
              Hi Broni, Good Day to you.

The two files are listed under "Other Devices" Not sure which is my "Sound Device" but, everything else seems OK.

May I add this - When I last rebooted, I allowed my machine to wipe off every AVI file. I then went on to the Internet and downloaded a small file which was in both WMV and AVI formats. There was no problem with the WMV file, but there was with the AVI file, and it did not want to allow me to delete it either.

Thanks

Belvin

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 05:21:52 PM »
              Let's find out about your computer configuration.
              What's the make, and model of it?

belvin

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 06:55:06 PM »
                Hi Broni,

I went down to my local computer shop at the time, and they asked me what I was going to use the computer for.

I said I was not interested in games, but I wanted it for downloading music, films and the Internet in generalso they built me this machine

From what I can work out, I have the following components installed

Power supply. It is either 300 or 400 - not sure which, or where to find information

Motherboard - ASUS K8V-MX   X Series

Processor - AMD Sempron (tm) processor 2800+

Memory - 1.60 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM   Physical Adddress Extension

DVD/CD-R - (  _NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A  )

C Drive - Maxtor 4D040H2

D Drive - Maxtor 6Y080L0

Medion 500 GB External Hard Disk Drive - bought this 4 weeks ago, just in case of possible crash

I know that there is a video capture card inside, because I wanted to save all the family video films to DVD, which I did do as they are now safe on the external hard drive, before they became to eroded by usage, but I don't know where to find out the information on this is. My Windows installation disc is a legal one

Windows - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2

Monitor, keyboard and mouse

I am really appreciating your help Broni, because where I am living there is no one else I can ask. Went looking on the Internet for help, and found Computerhope

Again, many thanks. If you need any more information, please tell me where to look, or how to find it, and I'll do my best

Belvin

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                « Reply #26 on: January 17, 2008, 07:32:48 PM »
                You're welcome.
                Let's find out little bit more, so we can straight out those two Device Manager error entries.
                Get Everest free: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
                When you open it, go Report>Quick Report>Plain text, and paste it back here. You may omit everything starting from Debug - PCI, and below.

belvin

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2008, 04:31:23 PM »
                  Hi Broni,

I think this is what you and meant and wanted. Unfortunately there is too much information before it comes to "Debug - PCI"

So I am breaking it down into segments to be able to post it. Looks like it is going to take about 10 posts I think

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version                                           EVEREST v2.20.405
                      Homepage                                          http://www.lavalys.com/
                      Report Type                                       Quick Report
                      Computer                                          HOME-6527BBB256
                      Generator                                         Bob
                      Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
                      Date                                              2008-01-18
                      Time                                              22:23

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
                        Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
                        OS Service Pack                                   Service Pack 2
                        DirectX                                           4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
                        Computer Name                                     HOME-6527BBB256
                        User Name                                         Bob

Motherboard:
                        CPU Type                                          AMD Sempron, 1600 MHz (8 x 200) 2800+
                        Motherboard Name                                  Asus K8V-MX  (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
                        Motherboard Chipset                               VIA VT8380 K8M800, AMD Hammer
                        System Memory                                     1024 MB  (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
                        BIOS Type                                         AMI (09/12/05)
                        Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM2)
                        Communication Port                                Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
                        Video Adapter                                     NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200  (Microsoft Corporation)  (128 MB)
                        3D Accelerator                                    nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
                        Monitor                                           Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB]

Multimedia:
                        Audio Adapter                                     VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

Storage:
                        IDE Controller                                    VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
                        Floppy Drive                                      Floppy disk drive
                        Disk Drive                                        Maxtor 6Y080L0  (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
                        Disk Drive                                        Maxtor 4D040H2  (40 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
                        Optical Drive                                     _NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A  (DVD+R9:8x, DVD-R9:4x, DVD+RW:16x/8x, DVD-RW:16x/6x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
                        SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

Partitions:
                        C: (NTFS)                                         39064 MB (24335 MB free)
                        D: (NTFS)                                         78166 MB (68372 MB free)
                        Total Size                                        114.5 GB (90.5 GB free)

Input:
                        Keyboard                                          Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
                        Mouse                                             HID-compliant mouse

Network:
                        Network Adapter                                   VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter  (89.125.151.77)

Peripherals:
                        USB1 Controller                                   VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
                        USB1 Controller                                   VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
                        USB2 Controller                                   VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
                        USB Device                                        Lexmark X84-X85 MFP
                        USB Device                                        USB Human Interface Device

continued on post 2 ....................

belvin

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2008, 04:36:34 PM »
                    continued from post 1........

--------[ DMI ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ BIOS ]

BIOS Properties:
                          Vendor                                            American Megatrends Inc.
                          Version                                           0203
                          Release Date                                      09/12/2005
                          Size                                              512 KB
                          Boot Devices                                      Floppy Disk, Hard Disk, CD-ROM, ATAPI ZIP, LS-120
                          Capabilities                                      Flash BIOS, Shadow BIOS, Selectable Boot, EDD, BBS
                          Supported Standards                               DMI, APM, ACPI, ESCD, PnP
                          Expansion Capabilities                            ISA, PCI, AGP, USB

[ System ]

System Properties:
                          Manufacturer                                      System manufacturer
                          Product                                           System Product Name
                          Version                                           System Version
                          Serial Number                                     System Serial Number
                          Universal Unique ID                               9032E161-6D47DA11-A922FA75-E87AABA6
                          Wake-Up Type                                      Power Switch

[ Motherboard ]

Motherboard Properties:
                          Manufacturer                                      ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
                          Product                                           K8V-MX
                          Serial Number                                     MB-1234567890

[ Chassis ]

Chassis Properties:
                          Manufacturer                                      Chassis Manufacture
                          Version                                           Chassis Version
                          Serial Number                                     Chassis Serial Number
                          Asset Tag                                         Asset-1234567890
                          Chassis Type                                      Mini Tower
                          Boot-Up State                                     Safe
                          Power Supply State                                Safe
                          Thermal State                                     Safe
                          Security Status                                   None

[ Memory Controller ]

Memory Controller Properties:
                          Error Detection Method                            64-bit ECC
                          Error Correction                                  Double-bit
                          Supported Memory Interleave                       1-Way
                          Current Memory Interleave                         1-Way
                          Supported Memory Speeds                           70ns, 60ns, 50ns
                          Supported Memory Types                            SIMM, DIMM, SDRAM
                          Supported Memory Voltages                         2.9V
                          Maximum Memory Module Size                        1024 MB
                          Memory Slots                                      2

[ Processors / AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+ ]

Processor Properties:
                          Manufacturer                                      AMD
                          Version                                           AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+
                          Serial Number                                     To Be Filled By O.E.M.
                          Asset Tag                                         To Be Filled By O.E.M.
                          Part Number                                       To Be Filled By O.E.M.
                          External Clock                                    200 MHz
                          Maximum Clock                                     1600 MHz
                          Current Clock                                     1600 MHz
                          Type                                              Central Processor
                          Status                                            Enabled
                          Socket Designation                                Socket 754

[ Caches / L1-Cache ]

Cache Properties:
                          Type                                              Internal
                          Operational Mode                                  Varies with Memory Address
                          Associativity                                     4-way Set-Associative
                          Maximum Size                                      64 KB
                          Installed Size                                    64 KB
                          Supported SRAM Type                               Pipeline Burst
                          Current SRAM Type                                 Pipeline Burst
                          Error Correction                                  Single-bit ECC
                          Socket Designation                                L1-Cache

[ Caches / L2-Cache ]

Cache Properties:
                          Type                                              Internal
                          Operational Mode                                  Varies with Memory Address
                          Associativity                                     4-way Set-Associative
                          Maximum Size                                      256 KB
                          Installed Size                                    256 KB
                          Supported SRAM Type                               Pipeline Burst
                          Current SRAM Type                                 Pipeline Burst
                          Error Correction                                  Single-bit ECC
                          Socket Designation                                L2-Cache

[ Memory Modules / DIMM0 ]

Memory Module Properties:
                          Socket Designation                                DIMM0
                          Type                                              ECC, DIMM
                          Installed Size                                    512 MB
                          Enabled Size                                      512 MB

[ Memory Modules / DIMM1 ]

Memory Module Properties:
                          Socket Designation                                DIMM1
                          Type                                              ECC, DIMM
                          Installed Size                                    512 MB
                          Enabled Size                                      512 MB

[ Memory Devices / DIMM0 ]

Memory Device Properties:
                          Form Factor                                       DIMM
                          Type Detail                                       Synchronous
                          Size                                              512 MB
                          Speed                                             333 MHz
                          Total Width                                       72-bit
                          Data Width                                        64-bit
                          Device Locator                                    DIMM0
                          Bank Locator                                      BANK0
                          Manufacturer                                      Manufacturer0
                          Serial Number                                     SerNum0
                          Asset Tag                                         AssetTagNum0
                          Part Number                                       PartNum0

[ Memory Devices / DIMM1 ]

Memory Device Properties:
                          Form Factor                                       DIMM
                          Type Detail                                       Synchronous
                          Size                                              512 MB
                          Speed                                             333 MHz
                          Total Width                                       72-bit
                          Data Width                                        64-bit
                          Device Locator                                    DIMM1
                          Bank Locator                                      BANK1
                          Manufacturer                                      Manufacturer1
                          Serial Number                                     SerNum1
                          Asset Tag                                         AssetTagNum1
                          Part Number                                       PartNum1

[ System Slots / AGP ]

System Slot Properties:
                          Slot Designation                                  AGP
                          Usage                                             In Use
                          Data Bus Width                                    32-bit
                          Length                                            Long

[ System Slots / PCI1 ]

System Slot Properties:
                          Slot Designation                                  PCI1
                          Type                                              PCI
                          Usage                                             Empty

[ System Slots / PCI2 ]

System Slot Properties:
                          Slot Designation                                  PCI2
                          Usage                                             In Use

[ System Slots / PCI3 ]

System Slot Properties:
                          Slot Designation                                  PCI3
                          Usage                                             Empty

continued on post 3.............

belvin

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2008, 04:44:51 PM »
                      continued from Post 2.........

[ Port Connectors / PS/2 Mouse ]

Port Connector Properties:
                            Port Type                                         Mouse Port
                            Internal Connector Type                           None
                            External Reference Designator                     PS/2 Mouse
                            External Connector Type                           PS/2

[ Port Connectors / PS/2 Keyboard ]

Port Type                                         Keyboard Port
                            External Reference Designator                     PS/2 Keyboard
                            External Connector Type                           PS/2

[ Port Connectors / USB1 ]

Port Type                                         USB
                            External Reference Designator                     USB1
                            External Connector Type                           USB

[ Port Connectors / USB2 ]

External Reference Designator                     USB2

[ Port Connectors / USB3 ]

External Reference Designator                     USB3

[ Port Connectors / USB4 ]

External Reference Designator                     USB4

[ Port Connectors / USB5 ]

External Reference Designator                     USB5

[ Port Connectors / USB6 ]

External Reference Designator                     USB6

[ Port Connectors / USB7 ]

External Reference Designator                     USB7

[ Port Connectors / USB8 ]

External Reference Designator                     USB8

[ Port Connectors / LPT 1 ]

Port Type                                         Parallel Port ECP/EPP
                            External Reference Designator                     LPT 1
                            External Connector Type                           DB-25 pin male

[ Port Connectors / Audio Mic In ]

Port Type                                         Audio Port
                            External Reference Designator                     Audio Mic In
                            External Connector Type                           Mini-jack (headphones)

[ Port Connectors / Audio Line In ]

External Reference Designator                     Audio Line In

[ Port Connectors / Audio Line Out ]

External Reference Designator                     Audio Line Out

[ Port Connectors / LAN ]

Port Type                                         Network Port
                            External Reference Designator                     LAN
                            External Connector Type                           RJ-45

[ Port Connectors / COM 2 ]

Port Type                                         Serial Port 16550A Compatible
                            External Reference Designator                     COM 2
                            External Connector Type                           DB-9 pin male

[ Port Connectors / AUX ]

Internal Reference Designator                     AUX
                            Internal Connector Type                           On-Board Sound Input from CD-ROM
                            External Connector Type                           None

[ Port Connectors / CD ]

Internal Reference Designator                     CD
                            Internal Connector Type                           On-Board Sound Input from CD-ROM

[ Port Connectors / PRI_IDE ]

Internal Reference Designator                     PRI_IDE
                            Internal Connector Type                           On-Board IDE

[ Port Connectors / SEC_IDE ]

Internal Reference Designator                     SEC_IDE
                            Internal Connector Type                           On-Board IDE

[ Port Connectors / FLOPPY ]

Internal Reference Designator                     FLOPPY
                            Internal Connector Type                           On-Board Floppy

[ Port Connectors / CHA_FAN ]

Internal Reference Designator                     CHA_FAN

[ Port Connectors / CPU_FAN ]

Internal Reference Designator                     CPU_FAN

[ Port Connectors / FP_AUDIO ]

Internal Reference Designator                     FP_AUDIO

[ Port Connectors / SATA1 ]

Internal Reference Designator                     SATA1

[ Port Connectors / SATA2 ]

Internal Reference Designator                     SATA2

[ Port Connectors / PRI_SATA ]

Internal Reference Designator                     PRI_SATA

[ Port Connectors / SEC_SATA ]

Internal Reference Designator                     SEC_SATA

[ Port Connectors / PRI_RAID ]

Internal Reference Designator                     PRI_RAID

[ On-Board Devices / To Be Filled By O.E.M. ]

On-Board Device Properties:
                            Description                                       To Be Filled By O.E.M.

continued on Post 4.........