Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need to get rid of OS  (Read 6848 times)

LostNewbie

Need to get rid of OS
« on: January 03, 2005, 07:08:11 AM »
Hey this is my first post  but I look forward to interacting more as time goes by. My problem is that my brother built me a new computer with Windows 2000 on it and everything was fine. But I had a friend who said he could upgrade to xp for me so I gave him my computer for the night and when I got it back he installed a full version of xp so now I have 2 os's. It is creating a little conflict and I would like to start all over since I did not have the comp. long enough to put any important files on it. Does anyone know how I can get rid of the xp full version (or the 2000). I dont mind formatting if I have to. Another wrench in the machine is that my floppy doesnt work so I cant make boot disks! I get a floppy drive failure message when I boot up and I have tried 2 floopy drives. I would use the Win 2000 disk but my brother lives in Vegas and I in VA Beach so I dont have access to the software. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LostNewbie

Re: Need to get rid of OS
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 07:31:57 AM »
nobody?

LostNewbie

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 07:41:08 AM »
Also another problem that I forgot to mention was that I can't do anything in Add/Remove Programs. I click on a program (in windows 2000) and the change/remove buttons are unclickable. If I do it in Win xp nothing shows up in the list.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 07:42:09 AM by LostNewbie »

wrwss

Intermediate
  • PITTSBURGH,PA.
    « Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 05:02:32 PM »
    you have to go into c-drive and open protected operating system files and then go to boot folder and delete win 2000 or xp from start up,also there is no programs installed on your system if it is a fresh install
    WRWSS

LostNewbie

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 06:25:22 PM »
    Well I have been using Win 2k and I have installed programs, but when I go to Add/Remove programs there is a big blank space but when you scroll down, they are all there. But when you click them to remove them, the button is unclickable. So it is recognizing them but not giving me access to them.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 02:03:51 PM »
    you could keep win2k as a back-up>>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=223188
    « Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 02:08:47 PM by merlin_2 »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 02:55:04 PM »
    Well I have been using Win 2k and I have installed programs, but when I go to Add/Remove programs there is a big blank space but when you scroll down, they are all there. But when you click them to remove them, the button is unclickable. So it is recognizing them but not giving me access to them.

You're probably not logged on as member of administrator group.