Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Received a laptop with no harddrive  (Read 11255 times)

indyblue250

Topic Starter

Rookie

Received a laptop with no harddrive
    « on: January 03, 2008, 07:44:11 PM »
    I receieved this laptop, a couple years old for free.  He was going to throw it away and I said I would take it.  Well it has no harddrive.  So if I buy an external harddrive, I will need to buy windows also?  Is there any way to get windows discounted?  For example I know you get office discounted if you have a student.  Or what other alternatives are there?

ultimatum

Intermediate
      Re: Received a laptop with no harddrive
      « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 08:40:23 PM »
      I doubt you can get a windows discount unless you get it second hand from someone else, thats all I can mention in this forum.
      Its not what you know, its what you can do that counts!

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:15:40 PM »
      as far as i know, you can't install operating system in an external hard drive, buy internal hdd and about the operating system you can try linux, it's free.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 09:25:51 PM »
      You can install an OS on an external device (HDD, cards, flash drives, etc.) if your BIOS supports booting from USB devices. Otherwise, you'll need to purchase an internal hard drive.

That's all anyone can tell you without knowing the model of the laptop.

As for getting Windows for a discount, there's no legal or illegal way that I'm willing to discuss. If you don't want to shell out the money for Windows, I suggest you listen to Kuszmania. If you're not wanting to really use this laptop for gaming, Linux is an excellent choice. It's free, it's functional, and most builds come with loads of useful software... all free.

homer

Expert
        « Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 10:45:56 PM »
        you can buy an OEM version of windows.

ultimatum

Intermediate
          « Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 11:04:28 PM »
          Whats OEM version of Windows?

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 11:21:56 PM »
          It's a version of Windows licensed for distribution with new PCs. Since that's not the case with what you're doing, it wouldn't be legitimate which is why I didn't mention it.

homer

Expert
            « Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 11:50:36 PM »
            i dont know whether or not purchasing an OEM version of windows for an old PC is legitimate or not, but many online distributers sell the OEM version regardless if it is for a new PC or not.

OEM version of windows is way cheaper than the retail version. the difference is that the OEM version does not come in a nice colourful box and it does not come with a users manual (other then installation instructions). a major difference between XP OEM and Vista OEM, is that the Vista OEM version binds itself to your motherboard. meaning, if you upgrade your motherboard, you will have to call microsoft and get them to unbind your operating system so you can reinstall vista on your new motherboard.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 02:50:59 AM »
              You could try an find a rebated version. Thought I'm not sure if they rebate os
              Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

quaxo

Guru
                • Yes
              « Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 03:03:46 AM »
              The full Home edition is only $80 retail now. The OEM version isn't much cheaper, maybe a few bucks. Still doesn't make it ok.

ultimatum

Intermediate
                « Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 07:13:39 AM »
                80$ retail is pennies comparing to what it used to be.

Sid

Apprentice
                  • Experience: Experienced
                  « Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 07:37:09 AM »
                  The full Home edition is only $80 retail now. The OEM version isn't much cheaper, maybe a few bucks. Still doesn't make it ok.

As I understood OEM O/S's:

You could buy one and use it if you were also buying an essential piece of kit, IE a HDD, or mobo.

quaxo

Guru
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 07:50:58 AM »
                  The OEM license for any product is up to the OEM (original equipment manufacturer). In this case, Microsoft. Microsoft labels all OEM software with the same message: Only to be distributed with a new PC. You're right, some OEM software is sold with essential pieces, or sometimes any piece, to bypass the requirements of the OEM agreement. However, it's considered a questionable practice and software companies have the right to refuse upgrades/service due to breaking the license agreement.

Deerpark

Egghead
                    « Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 08:49:33 AM »
                    You can install an OS on an external device (HDD, cards, flash drives, etc.) if your BIOS supports booting from USB device. Otherwise, you'll need to purchase an internal hard drive.
                    No it is not as easy as that. This have been discussed several times on this forum. XP (and Vista as well) have several safeguards that prevents booting it from an USB device. You can make it boot but this is not easy and not something I would recommended for everyday use. Here's a couple of recent threads on the topic.
                    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,47447.msg301040.html#msg301040
                    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,47741.msg300865.html#msg300865

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
                    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    • Experience: Beginner
                    « Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 08:59:34 AM »
                    Thank you Deerpark.

You saved me some typing.... ;)
                    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "