Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Received a laptop with no harddrive  (Read 11251 times)

indyblue250

Topic Starter

Rookie

Received a laptop with no harddrive
    « on: January 03, 2008, 07:44:11 PM »
    I receieved this laptop, a couple years old for free.  He was going to throw it away and I said I would take it.  Well it has no harddrive.  So if I buy an external harddrive, I will need to buy windows also?  Is there any way to get windows discounted?  For example I know you get office discounted if you have a student.  Or what other alternatives are there?

ultimatum

Intermediate
      Re: Received a laptop with no harddrive
      « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 08:40:23 PM »
      I doubt you can get a windows discount unless you get it second hand from someone else, thats all I can mention in this forum.
      Its not what you know, its what you can do that counts!

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:15:40 PM »
      as far as i know, you can't install operating system in an external hard drive, buy internal hdd and about the operating system you can try linux, it's free.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 09:25:51 PM »
      You can install an OS on an external device (HDD, cards, flash drives, etc.) if your BIOS supports booting from USB devices. Otherwise, you'll need to purchase an internal hard drive.

That's all anyone can tell you without knowing the model of the laptop.

As for getting Windows for a discount, there's no legal or illegal way that I'm willing to discuss. If you don't want to shell out the money for Windows, I suggest you listen to Kuszmania. If you're not wanting to really use this laptop for gaming, Linux is an excellent choice. It's free, it's functional, and most builds come with loads of useful software... all free.

homer

Expert
        « Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 10:45:56 PM »
        you can buy an OEM version of windows.

ultimatum

Intermediate
          « Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 11:04:28 PM »
          Whats OEM version of Windows?

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 11:21:56 PM »
          It's a version of Windows licensed for distribution with new PCs. Since that's not the case with what you're doing, it wouldn't be legitimate which is why I didn't mention it.

homer

Expert
            « Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 11:50:36 PM »
            i dont know whether or not purchasing an OEM version of windows for an old PC is legitimate or not, but many online distributers sell the OEM version regardless if it is for a new PC or not.

OEM version of windows is way cheaper than the retail version. the difference is that the OEM version does not come in a nice colourful box and it does not come with a users manual (other then installation instructions). a major difference between XP OEM and Vista OEM, is that the Vista OEM version binds itself to your motherboard. meaning, if you upgrade your motherboard, you will have to call microsoft and get them to unbind your operating system so you can reinstall vista on your new motherboard.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 02:50:59 AM »
              You could try an find a rebated version. Thought I'm not sure if they rebate os
              Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

quaxo

Guru
                • Yes
              « Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 03:03:46 AM »
              The full Home edition is only $80 retail now. The OEM version isn't much cheaper, maybe a few bucks. Still doesn't make it ok.

ultimatum

Intermediate
                « Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 07:13:39 AM »
                80$ retail is pennies comparing to what it used to be.

Sid

Apprentice
                  • Experience: Experienced
                  « Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 07:37:09 AM »
                  The full Home edition is only $80 retail now. The OEM version isn't much cheaper, maybe a few bucks. Still doesn't make it ok.

As I understood OEM O/S's:

You could buy one and use it if you were also buying an essential piece of kit, IE a HDD, or mobo.

quaxo

Guru
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 07:50:58 AM »
                  The OEM license for any product is up to the OEM (original equipment manufacturer). In this case, Microsoft. Microsoft labels all OEM software with the same message: Only to be distributed with a new PC. You're right, some OEM software is sold with essential pieces, or sometimes any piece, to bypass the requirements of the OEM agreement. However, it's considered a questionable practice and software companies have the right to refuse upgrades/service due to breaking the license agreement.

Deerpark

Egghead
                    « Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 08:49:33 AM »
                    You can install an OS on an external device (HDD, cards, flash drives, etc.) if your BIOS supports booting from USB device. Otherwise, you'll need to purchase an internal hard drive.
                    No it is not as easy as that. This have been discussed several times on this forum. XP (and Vista as well) have several safeguards that prevents booting it from an USB device. You can make it boot but this is not easy and not something I would recommended for everyday use. Here's a couple of recent threads on the topic.
                    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,47447.msg301040.html#msg301040
                    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,47741.msg300865.html#msg300865

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
                    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 08:59:34 AM »
                    Thank you Deerpark.

You saved me some typing.... ;)
                    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

quaxo

Guru
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 09:05:08 AM »
                    Never said it was easy, but the first and most important thing is that the BIOS supports it or it won't work at all. Yes, Windows XP does need a bit of tweaking to make it do it properly, but since that wasn't his question I didn't go into details.

Still, it's a common practice with computers that don't have CD drives, such as the ASUS EeePC series or Sony UX390N.

indyblue250

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 02:21:32 PM »
                      Boot from removable devices, hard drive, cd rom.

So if its difficult to use windows with a removable i dont want it.  How do I know what hard drive to buy that will work, and fit in it?  Also where is this 80 dollar windows?  I went to best buy and it was around 200.  I was hoping for XP.

patio

• Genius
                      • Maud' Dib
                        • Yes
                      « Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 02:28:09 PM »
                      Travel to the laptop manuf. site to see what drives it will handle...they will be 2.5" HDD's but some laptops will be limited as far as what capacity drive they can run...
                      As far as XP follow some of the links provided for shopping prices.
                      I would also check out the hardware specs on that machine to see if it will even run XP.

quaxo

Guru
                        • Yes
                      « Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 08:34:44 PM »
                      What's the model and make of that laptop?

indyblue250

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 12:38:52 PM »
                        It has a sticker saying designed for XP, and I know it previously ran XP.  It was a refurbished computer, but from what I can tell pressing f12 right away on start up.  It is an Avertec casing.
                        system memory 640 KB
                        Extended Memory 478 MB
                        CPU type AMD K8 2800+
                        CPU speed 1600 MHZ
                        Bios version A.4g-0517-0812

edit- I just looked on the bottom and it is a Averatec 5400 Series.  It also has a product key for windows XP, so it buying XP necessary?

quaxo

Guru
                          • Yes
                        « Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 05:21:21 PM »
                        You can order a new set of recovery CDs, which will include Windows, directly from the company:

http://www.averatec.com/customercare/contact.asp
                        If you have misplaced or lost your recovery CD set, you can purchase a new set for a nominal fee of $11.99 USD per RCD set plus shipping and handling. To purchase a set of recovery media, please contact our on-line authorized retailer at www.shopaveratec.com

Now all you need is a hard drive to install it to.

indyblue250

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 05:42:56 PM »
                          You can order a new set of recovery CDs, which will include Windows, directly from the company:

http://www.averatec.com/customercare/contact.asp
                          If you have misplaced or lost your recovery CD set, you can purchase a new set for a nominal fee of $11.99 USD per RCD set plus shipping and handling. To purchase a set of recovery media, please contact our on-line authorized retailer at www.shopaveratec.com

Now all you need is a hard drive to install it to.

Actually I have 3 Cds he gave me that say recovery media...so that has windows on it?

And will any notebook hd work?  Where do you recommend buying it?

quaxo

Guru
                            • Yes
                          « Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 04:22:06 AM »
                          http://www.newegg.com

Good place to go shopping online. If you're not able or comfortable shopping online, there might be a computer shop locally that sells laptop hard drives.

As for the one that fits that machine, I'm not sure. I'll have to look around and see if that's a 2.5" or 1.8". Most likely a 2.5", but I want to be sure before we tell you to go buy anything.

Those 3 recovery CD should have Windows on it. Aftre we get a new hard drive installed, those CDs will return the laptop to its factory settings and configuration (including all initially installed software).

indyblue250

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 05:19:18 PM »
                            http://www.newegg.com

Good place to go shopping online. If you're not able or comfortable shopping online, there might be a computer shop locally that sells laptop hard drives.

As for the one that fits that machine, I'm not sure. I'll have to look around and see if that's a 2.5" or 1.8". Most likely a 2.5", but I want to be sure before we tell you to go buy anything.

Those 3 recovery CD should have Windows on it. Aftre we get a new hard drive installed, those CDs will return the laptop to its factory settings and configuration (including all initially installed software).

The opening is a 2 3/4" not sure if thats what I mearsure though

I have started searching for one on the newegg website to find that they have different types of ends.
                            Please note that connector formats can differ on notebook hard drives that are compliant with the same interface standard, For example, Hitachi notebook hard drives utilizing the ATA-6 interface can be produced in standard IDE form and ZIF connector form as well.
                            I will need help to find which one I will need.  By the way thanks for all the help thus far.

elxr06

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 11:20:55 AM »
                            Who says OEM is not legal? What if you bought OEM Windows newegg.com which I have seen?

Anyway .... go bug the guy who gave you the laptop. He gave you no hard drive so ask him if he has it osmewhere............

then install windows or linux or something....

indyblue250

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 02:08:10 PM »
                              Who says OEM is not legal? What if you bought OEM Windows newegg.com which I have seen?

Anyway .... go bug the guy who gave you the laptop. He gave you no hard drive so ask him if he has it osmewhere............

then install windows or linux or something....

No, he was going to throw it out and I just said I would take it.  The reason why he was throwing it away was because the old hard drive had a glitch in it and he told the computer guys who worked on it to just throw it.

indyblue250

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 07:45:47 PM »
                                I took some time and found the manual online for this model and read that it is indeed a 2.5" and an IDE. 

So would this be capable with this laptop. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136130

Or what would be reccommended from any of you guys?  I am looking for a 100-160 GB drive.

quaxo

Guru
                                  • Yes
                                « Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 09:47:35 PM »
                                Might be a good idea to find out what the size of the original disk was or what size maximum (if any) it can take. I'd check, but I'm only on for a minute right now and don't have time. I'll see if I can find something later if someone else doesn't look it up first.

patio

• Genius
                                • Maud' Dib
                                  • Yes
                                « Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 09:51:33 AM »
                                Travel to the laptop manuf. site to see what drives it will handle...they will be 2.5" HDD's but some laptops will be limited as far as what capacity drive they can run...
                                As far as XP follow some of the links provided for shopping prices.
                                I would also check out the hardware specs on that machine to see if it will even run XP

Your Machine manual can be DLoaded from the manuf. website.

indyblue250

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 05:12:55 PM »
                                  It had a 40 GB HD before, but it says on page 46 of the manual (http://www.averatec.com/docs/5400_Series_Users_Manual.pdf) that it supports 80 GB or above.  So would that HD i posted before be ok?

patio

• Genius
                                  • Maud' Dib
                                    • Yes
                                  « Reply #30 on: January 09, 2008, 06:29:21 PM »
                                  I didn't see any HDD reference on page 46 but that is the correct HDD as far as physical size goes so yes it would fit.
                                  Why there was no listing to what capacity it can use i don't understand.
                                  Maybe fire off a quick email to them to make sure it will run a 120G drive...

BTW that's a nice HDD you chose.

indyblue250

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2008, 07:06:35 PM »
                                    Ok thanks for all your work guys, Im sure it gets annoying when people like me keep bugging you, but its greatly appreciated.  Im sure you will see me around again trying to get help from you geniuses.

patio

• Genius
                                    • Maud' Dib
                                      • Yes
                                    « Reply #32 on: January 09, 2008, 08:24:05 PM »
                                    No Problem at all...stop by anytime.

indyblue250

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2008, 01:59:28 PM »
                                      Hehe Im back again.

I ended up buying this hard drive  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136130 .  It has no manual, so I just slide it in right?  From there it works instantly, or what?

patio

• Genius
                                      • Maud' Dib
                                        • Yes
                                      « Reply #34 on: January 13, 2008, 03:49:55 PM »
                                      You should have recieved a CD with it...boot with this CD in to prepare the drive for installing an OS on it...

indyblue250

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2008, 04:17:58 PM »
                                        No cd, but when I popped it in, it worked.