Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Received a laptop with no harddrive  (Read 11248 times)

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Received a laptop with no harddrive
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 09:05:08 AM »
Never said it was easy, but the first and most important thing is that the BIOS supports it or it won't work at all. Yes, Windows XP does need a bit of tweaking to make it do it properly, but since that wasn't his question I didn't go into details.

Still, it's a common practice with computers that don't have CD drives, such as the ASUS EeePC series or Sony UX390N.

indyblue250

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 02:21:32 PM »
    Boot from removable devices, hard drive, cd rom.

So if its difficult to use windows with a removable i dont want it.  How do I know what hard drive to buy that will work, and fit in it?  Also where is this 80 dollar windows?  I went to best buy and it was around 200.  I was hoping for XP.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 02:28:09 PM »
    Travel to the laptop manuf. site to see what drives it will handle...they will be 2.5" HDD's but some laptops will be limited as far as what capacity drive they can run...
    As far as XP follow some of the links provided for shopping prices.
    I would also check out the hardware specs on that machine to see if it will even run XP.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    « Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 08:34:44 PM »
    What's the model and make of that laptop?

indyblue250

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 12:38:52 PM »
      It has a sticker saying designed for XP, and I know it previously ran XP.  It was a refurbished computer, but from what I can tell pressing f12 right away on start up.  It is an Avertec casing.
      system memory 640 KB
      Extended Memory 478 MB
      CPU type AMD K8 2800+
      CPU speed 1600 MHZ
      Bios version A.4g-0517-0812

edit- I just looked on the bottom and it is a Averatec 5400 Series.  It also has a product key for windows XP, so it buying XP necessary?

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 05:21:21 PM »
      You can order a new set of recovery CDs, which will include Windows, directly from the company:

http://www.averatec.com/customercare/contact.asp
      If you have misplaced or lost your recovery CD set, you can purchase a new set for a nominal fee of $11.99 USD per RCD set plus shipping and handling. To purchase a set of recovery media, please contact our on-line authorized retailer at www.shopaveratec.com

Now all you need is a hard drive to install it to.

indyblue250

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 05:42:56 PM »
        You can order a new set of recovery CDs, which will include Windows, directly from the company:

http://www.averatec.com/customercare/contact.asp
        If you have misplaced or lost your recovery CD set, you can purchase a new set for a nominal fee of $11.99 USD per RCD set plus shipping and handling. To purchase a set of recovery media, please contact our on-line authorized retailer at www.shopaveratec.com

Now all you need is a hard drive to install it to.

Actually I have 3 Cds he gave me that say recovery media...so that has windows on it?

And will any notebook hd work?  Where do you recommend buying it?

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        « Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 04:22:06 AM »
        http://www.newegg.com

Good place to go shopping online. If you're not able or comfortable shopping online, there might be a computer shop locally that sells laptop hard drives.

As for the one that fits that machine, I'm not sure. I'll have to look around and see if that's a 2.5" or 1.8". Most likely a 2.5", but I want to be sure before we tell you to go buy anything.

Those 3 recovery CD should have Windows on it. Aftre we get a new hard drive installed, those CDs will return the laptop to its factory settings and configuration (including all initially installed software).

indyblue250

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 05:19:18 PM »
          http://www.newegg.com

Good place to go shopping online. If you're not able or comfortable shopping online, there might be a computer shop locally that sells laptop hard drives.

As for the one that fits that machine, I'm not sure. I'll have to look around and see if that's a 2.5" or 1.8". Most likely a 2.5", but I want to be sure before we tell you to go buy anything.

Those 3 recovery CD should have Windows on it. Aftre we get a new hard drive installed, those CDs will return the laptop to its factory settings and configuration (including all initially installed software).

The opening is a 2 3/4" not sure if thats what I mearsure though

I have started searching for one on the newegg website to find that they have different types of ends.
          Please note that connector formats can differ on notebook hard drives that are compliant with the same interface standard, For example, Hitachi notebook hard drives utilizing the ATA-6 interface can be produced in standard IDE form and ZIF connector form as well.
          I will need help to find which one I will need.  By the way thanks for all the help thus far.

elxr06

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 11:20:55 AM »
          Who says OEM is not legal? What if you bought OEM Windows newegg.com which I have seen?

Anyway .... go bug the guy who gave you the laptop. He gave you no hard drive so ask him if he has it osmewhere............

then install windows or linux or something....

indyblue250

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 02:08:10 PM »
            Who says OEM is not legal? What if you bought OEM Windows newegg.com which I have seen?

Anyway .... go bug the guy who gave you the laptop. He gave you no hard drive so ask him if he has it osmewhere............

then install windows or linux or something....

No, he was going to throw it out and I just said I would take it.  The reason why he was throwing it away was because the old hard drive had a glitch in it and he told the computer guys who worked on it to just throw it.

indyblue250

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 07:45:47 PM »
              I took some time and found the manual online for this model and read that it is indeed a 2.5" and an IDE. 

So would this be capable with this laptop. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136130

Or what would be reccommended from any of you guys?  I am looking for a 100-160 GB drive.

quaxo

Guru
                • Yes
              « Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 09:47:35 PM »
              Might be a good idea to find out what the size of the original disk was or what size maximum (if any) it can take. I'd check, but I'm only on for a minute right now and don't have time. I'll see if I can find something later if someone else doesn't look it up first.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 09:51:33 AM »
              Travel to the laptop manuf. site to see what drives it will handle...they will be 2.5" HDD's but some laptops will be limited as far as what capacity drive they can run...
              As far as XP follow some of the links provided for shopping prices.
              I would also check out the hardware specs on that machine to see if it will even run XP

Your Machine manual can be DLoaded from the manuf. website.
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

indyblue250

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 05:12:55 PM »
                It had a 40 GB HD before, but it says on page 46 of the manual (http://www.averatec.com/docs/5400_Series_Users_Manual.pdf) that it supports 80 GB or above.  So would that HD i posted before be ok?