Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 98SE, 'Send To Desktop' fails to work  (Read 5869 times)

Dennis Newman

Win 98SE, 'Send To Desktop' fails to work
« on: January 04, 2005, 05:32:05 AM »
Over Xmas I upgraded from Win98 to Win98SE with a complete disk-wipe and one-at-a-time install of my hardware devices.
Sometime during the re-loading of my programs I noticed that the Explorer right-click: 'Send To Desktop (create shortcut)' option was failing with the message "no CMC Mailer installed".
I tried copying the shortcut-link from my laptop (Win98SE) - this does not produce an error report, but it doesn't work either.
This condition may have been caused by the Win95 'Send To' Powertoys, (I use 'send to any folder'),but removing them has had no effect on the fault.
Does anyone have any ideas please ?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Win 98SE, 'Send To Desktop' fails to work
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 12:53:52 PM »
Try running a Windows Update by going to http://www.microsoft.com ... This MIGHT solve your problem.... Keep us posted...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Dennis Newman

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 02:58:16 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion Flame, unfortunately I do not have internet access at home.
My internet access at work is via a Windows NT machine and the MS Windows Update Site tests which operating system is calling and offers to update only that one.
The 'Send To Desktop (create shortcut)' option did work when I first installed Win98SE and it does work on my Win98SE laptop - it's just that sometime during the process of adding my software it got trashed.
I had thought of using the 'repair' option on the OS, but I'm bothered that I might lose my settings and that I will be forced to reload all my programs again.

2k dummy

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 09:06:20 AM »
The repair option does not normally change any program settings except for windows defaults. If you don't want to use it, open windows explorer and navigate to the folder "send to". You can add or delete anything you want by creating a shortcut in this folder. It is located at c:\windows\send to.

Dennis Newman

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 03:48:55 AM »
Hi 2k dummy,

I know how to add items to the "send to" folder, with the exception of sending to the desktop. If I could do this then I could just replace the missing shortcut.

I've tried drag-and-drop from both the desktop window and the desktop folder, both refuse to create a shortcut.

I've tried a comparison search through my laptop and desktop registers without finding any relevant difference.

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 08:55:59 AM »
    You should find a Desktop folder in your Windows folder. Try looking in the folder or in the Start Menu folder in Windows. Your actual Desktop is just an illusion... its contents are stored somewhere in the Windows folder.

Dennis Newman

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 02:36:36 AM »
    Hello to all,

Over the weekend I cross-referenced my desktop's Registry with my laptop's.
    I discovered that a CLSID entry linked to 'deskfile' had somehow been deleted from my Registry, re-creating this cured the problem.

Thanks for you replies.