Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Harddrive USB  (Read 6263 times)

themanshan

Re: External Harddrive USB
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 12:25:34 PM »
From what I have seen when internal hard disks are placed into enclosures the jumper should be removed. You may have better luck connecting to another PC. If you're sure your USB 2.0 devices are operating properly, try opening disk management and seeing if the hard disk is shown there.  This problem you have is pretty notorious.

http://www.Themanshan.com

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 01:36:22 PM »
From what I have seen when internal hard disks are placed into enclosures the jumper should be removed

This would depend on whose drive it is as they are not all jumpered the same...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 04:27:32 PM »
    Gentlemen all, Well there are 2 more options which i will endeavor and report the results.I shall try 1st to change the jumper setting on a particular HD and one specific case (of the 3) to "master" and if that doesn't alter anything i shall then try a "no jumper" in the same case.If neither gets the desired result i shall try the exact same thing in another case.If that doesn't work I'll repeat the exercise with a different HD.
     I would request that you all remember that this is the only USB device that is causing this problem Even the one time flash drive hiccup of stating a 1.1 USB port was being used has never been repeated even on the same port with the same flash drive. I usually devote my Sundays to getting in over my head with my computers (so as not to do what i would really like to do --which is play with them all the time. So I'll hopefully be in a position to relate more on or after Sunday. Stay tuned  and again thank you all for trying to help me. truenorth

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 03:06:01 PM »
      OK here we go: This only pertains to the Sony computer. The exercise has been completed and the results are. I get messages when inserting the USB from the case into all of the ports that the device will run faster if i insert it in a higher speed port. So i think we can conclude that the USB ports are seeing something.However nothing related to the device appears either in "my computer" or in "device manager". However i want to draw your attention back to the 3rd of my posts on this item where i tell of the faults displayed in "device manager. I invite those of you who may wish to provide input to the following web site where it deals with the "SM bus controller " fault http://www.helpero.com/Questions-and-answers/Computers/Drivers/Where-can-I-find-SM-Bus-Controller-driver_10413.html . This fault does seem to have a connection with USB issues. If you follow the recommendation of how to solve it there is a file on the linked site to download. However it has a caution that this should only be done by programmers and/or developers (which i most definitely am NOT. There is a reference to an alternative software to install for those that are not the aforementioned. However how to get to where it is located is not explained nor linked. By the way this was done with the jumpers in "master" and also with no jumper installed.the only "highlighted USB port shown in the device manager is "USB root hub(5ports)" which i have no idea what is being referred to. i shall report on the Presario after i have run the same tests on it. Meanwhile perhaps the problem on the Sony can be addressed by itself. Thanks all. truenorth

Bulletin:Shortly after writing the above i decided to check device manager again.Below "Universal bus controller" there was a new item listed for the 1st time (remember on "no jumper")It is "USB mass storage device. It has a yellow exclamation beside it and the properties states "this device cannot start".It states the location of the device to be"0(USB to IDE). It suggests clicking on the "troubleshoot option". Doing so opens a "support help" window. It seems to want something typed in a search box. No idea what to type to get a desirable result. At this point the external case is plugged into one of the 2 front ports. Are you more confused? I sure am. truenorth
      « Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 03:53:55 PM by truenorth »

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 05:21:43 PM »
        OK now the Presario. A bit different. The only suspicious evidence that inserting the USB case into any of the available USB ports (1 front 1 rear) is that whenever the case is plugged in the device manager list keeps scrolling --when it is unplugged or turned off fromit's own on/off switch the scrolling stops. There is a new entry in the device manager list under universal serial bus controller that is reffer ed to as "unknown device". This must be some detection of the USB case as when the case is turned off the entry is gone.However no new device appears in "my computer" at any time. The final test was done using a previously unused  (to the testing process) 3.5 GB Hd from a fully functional computer as it one and only HD. It contains amongst other things the win98SE operating system. That's it for my current round of testing. truenorth

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 10:55:59 AM »
          A EUREKA moment has finally occurred on this issue. ALL the problems associated with this issue are now resolved.I no longer get messages re use a 2.0  usb port instead of a 1.1 No problems with device recognition in either the Sony Vaio or the Compaq Presario. There are 2 partitions on an 80GB Seagate (that was an internal) both NTSF and fully functional. All USB ports on both computers see and properly display the device. The only thing that in my opinion solved this was putting the jumper pin selection to "master" on the case contained harddrive. Because after doing that and nothing additional it worked.Thank you all that endeavored to assist me on this problem ;D truenorth

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 05:52:29 PM »
          Good News indeed, truenorth ...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "