Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Buffer Overflows  (Read 5043 times)

diceman

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Buffer Overflows
    « on: February 09, 2008, 06:21:08 PM »
    I apologize if this is the incorrect forum.  I have all my movies and movie segments stored in a folder on my D drive. Every time I access the folder, I get a Buffer Overflow warning. These warning used to be limited to that movie folder but now the warnings come when I play certain movie cds on my F drive. How do I get rid of these warnings?

About my computer: I have a HP Pavillion laptop, model dv9627cl, 2GB Memory, 200GB hard Drive, Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, McAfee Viruscan Plus 3user version 8.

I get three different buffer overflow warnings:

1. "A buffer overflow was detected and blocked on your computer"
          Process: C;\Windows\system32\DllHost.exe
          Process description: Com Surrogate

2. "A buffer overflow was detected and blocked on your computer"
          Process: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
          Process description: Windows Explorer

3.  "A buffer overflow-----"
           Process: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
           Process description: Windows Explorer

Warning #1 only appears when I access the movie folder on D drive but doesn't affect my playing of the movies there.

Warnings #2 and 3 usually appear when I try and play certain movies I have on cds and when the warning appears, I can't play the cd. The F drive freezes up and I have to close it.

I went through all the steps requested by "evilfantasy" although step #5--the online virus scan-- would not work, even in IE and with Admin. rights. I could never get the "run as administrator" button to come up. I also could only retrieve two of the logs to save. When the DrWeb CureIt scan was done, the "save report list" button would not highlight and would not allow me to click on it.

Here are the two logs I was able to save:

[file cleanup - saving space - attachment deleted by admin]

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Buffer Overflows
    « Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 06:28:52 PM »
    We're not dealing with malwares here. The log is clean.
    When did your problem start? How old is your computer? Did it come with Vista, or was it an upgrade?

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 06:31:26 PM »
    Also, what program do you use to play movies? Does it happen with movies only?

diceman

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 10:39:40 PM »
      Thanks for the fast reply and quick check on the logs, Broni!  My computer is almost four months old and came with Vista. The problem started towards the end of December. At first, the warnings came erratically and soon got to the point where they come each time I open my movies folder after the first boot up in the morning and any re-boot after that. I use Media Player Classic from the K-lite codec pack and VLC media player. I rarely use Windows Media Player.  Right now, I only get the overflow warnings when I open my videos folder or when I try and watch certain cds with movies on them.

When the buffer overflow warning comes up and mentions the Process, is that where the overflow is originating from? Should I try deleting the process files mentioned in each warning?

Also, for the first 60 days I had this computer, I was using a free trial of Norton Security and Antivirus and never got any warnings pertaining to buffer overflows. The same goes for when I had my old Sony comp with Trend Micro Security Suite. McAfee is the first antivirus and security program that has brought up this problem.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 11:41:27 PM »
      OK.
      I did some reading, and it looks like this particular message is strictly connected to McAfee only. I don't know, if they are going to issue some patch to correct this problem, but you're not alone.
      Should I try deleting the process files mentioned in each warning?
      No, you can't. Those files are crucial Windows files, and it's not Windows fault, but McAfee being too protective.
      What is buffer overflow?
      A simple definition of buffer overflow is writing data outside designated memory blocks when the memory block is full. Most antivirus programs use pattern files to detect the buffer overflows. So, if antivirus code is overprotective, or flawed, it'll flag legit programs as virus activity, and block them.
      Since they're blocked = you can't play your DVDs.
      Why you can actually play movies from your HD, after the error, but not from DVD drive is beyond my knowledge.
      I don't like McAfee, but I assume, you paid your subscription, so you're stuck.
      In my opinion, you have two options.
      I'm not familiar with new McAfee versions, so you'll have to dig through its options...
      1. You may turn buffer overflow protection off (it may have some sub-options), which isn't the best thing to do.
      2. McAfee must have some way to exclude some processes from being flagged.
      I wish, I could have had more help for you.

diceman

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 07:23:25 AM »
        Thanks again, Broni, for the quick reply and additional info on the overflows. I kind of suspected the warnings may have been unique to McAfee since I never had them with other AV programs I used. I'm getting McAfee for free for one year through Scottrade Online Brokerage and have contacted the McAfee help forums to no avail. If I have to switch back to Norton or Trend Micro, it won't be the end of the world. I guess you get what you pay for, eh? Again, your help was much appreciated and if I find out anything new, I'll post it here for all.

diceman

Topic Starter

Rookie
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 09:09:34 AM »
          Broni, I also checked and found I have buffer overflow protection enabled within McAfee, which is why I get the warnings, but I'm reluctant to disable the feature because of the seriousness of problems that the overflows may cause (when the alerts appear, they always mention how serious overflows can be).  Again, as I find out more from McAfee, I'll inform the forum.

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 10:32:03 AM »
          If you have it for free, I'd uninstall it right away. Stay away from Norton, and TrendMicro. You're gonna have similar problems.
          Go for free AVG, or Avast.