Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: window 98 in ms-dos  (Read 5174 times)

logsteps

window 98 in ms-dos
« on: January 05, 2005, 09:08:44 AM »
I restarted my win 98 computer in ms-dos mode to run defrag and once the screen came on ther was no C prompt only a blinking cursor and now the machine will only start in ms-dos. please help  

Computer_Commando

Re: window 98 in ms-dos
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 09:45:47 AM »
... ther was no C prompt only a blinking cursor and now the machine will only start in ms-dos... 

It's one or the other...If there is no C-prompt and only a blinking cursor, how does it start MS-DOS?  

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 10:10:29 AM »
    1. How did you get into DOS mode?
    2. Why did you want to run defrag in DOS mode? You should run it in safe-mode, no need for DOS mode.

Try restarting your computer. Describe what happens until you get to this point.

Try typing win and see what happens.

Let us know.

logsteps

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 11:29:20 AM »
    when I restart the computer all I get is the blinking cursor. If I restart and hit f-8 I get the menu but normal command only goes back to the blinking cursor. I still cannot get to the windows.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 06:31:13 PM »
    When you hit F8, select Command Prompt.  If you see C:>, then type win.  If this works, then maybe msdos.sys file is corrupted, read this:
    http://www.computerhope.com/msdossys.htm