Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't enter hard drive partition size  (Read 5870 times)

Isoetes

Can't enter hard drive partition size
« on: January 05, 2005, 06:44:41 PM »
I need to divide my hard drive into two partitions and install Windows 2000 Pro in both partitions.  The computer is an HP with a 30 GB hard drive and a sticker on the front proclaiming   it  "designed for Windows 2000 Pro / Windows Me."  It originally had W Me on it.  I first tried an upgrade install, and that seemed to work ok, but I then learned that Disk Management couldn't alter the size of the partition containing  Windows 2000.  I've done three clean installs since.  I reach a screen that asks me what size the new partition should be, but nothing on the keyboard will alter the size shown on the screen.  The result is that Windows 2000 makes its own partition which takes up almost all of the hard drive.  How can I get it to follow instructions?

SKy

Re: Can't enter hard drive partition size
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 04:55:48 AM »
I think you need to format and partition into 2 partitions, then use win2000 cd to install.

1) Format harddisk.
2) Use win2000 or win98 boot disk, run fdisk.
3) In fdisk, I think there's an option to set how big is your partition. You can set to maybe 15Gb.
4) Once done, I think you can use win2000 cd to install. win2000 will then detect that there are 2 partitions, and ask you to select the partitions.

cheers